Chapter One: RIP Will's nose

My fist collided with his nose, hearing and feeling the bone crack under my knuckles. He doubled over and groaned. "That will teach you, you fucking bully!".

 Suddenly my vision cleared and I saw a large crowd gawking at the scene. Several boys were still chanting "FIGHT!", however this was silenced by a booming voice down the hallway. 

"What is going on? Maya Steel! Will Smith! Ryan Richards! DETENTION" shouted Mr Peidar. 

Oh god. First day and I was already in trouble. I felt a twist in my stomach - hopefully I could last in this school until the end of semester.  I'd sacrificed so much to be here - all those training sessions, parties missed and tears shed to get to the National Karate Championships, all to be scouted by Mr Grimes to attend Templeton High on a full scholarship. I felt the tears prick my eyes, this couldn't be over before it had even begun!

Out of nowhere the skinny blue eyed boy Ryan Richards exclaimed "Sir! Maya was sticking up for me, Will is the only one who should be punished". I knew at that moment we were destined to be friends. I had seen Will and his goonies beating up Ryan and I couldn't stop myself intervening. I knew right and wrong. I also knew karate. 

"That doesn't stop the fact you were all in a fight today. All will be punished. Detention 5pm tonight." 

"but sir I have training!"

His steel blue eyes flashed. There was no point in putting up a fight. Not now anyway. 

........................................................................................................................................................

The rest of the day, droned on like any other first day. They are all the same. The same bitchy mean girls with the short skirts, the jocks with bigger muscles than brains, nerds who think they are more smart than they are, loud drama kids who don't stop singing in the hallways and the bad boys who I should definitely avoid. I don't need any more trouble in my life that's for sure! I was lost in a sea full of strange faces.

Then I saw a warm smile. I was struggling over algebra in math - I was definitely not on an academic scolarship haha! - and a tanned muscular arm leaned over my desk. "Need any help with that?". His silky voice matched his fiery amber eyes and his sandy blonde hair flopped over his brow. I was never open lost for words but his appearance left me stuttering. "Don't I know you? I saw you in the championships! I can't wait to train with the girl who broke Will Smith's nose - he had it coming" he chuckles. 

I broke into an embarrassingly large grin "I'll spar you if you give me some help with this math! In my last school the teachers were too scared to show up to lessons so i didn't learn much"

"It's a deal!" his eyes look inquisitive "You coming to training tonight?"

I groan "I cant - breaking Wills nose came with a price - I have detention"

"Shame - I was really looking forward to getting to know you, Maya"

I gasp internally. He knows my name!