Chapter Four: The night is young

"Ryan Richards you've got 10 more seconds or i'm leaving!" I shouted as I banged on the bathroom door. Yesterday, Ryan asked if I wanted to get ready at his before Jason's party, but had I known how long that boy takes to do his hair, I would have definitely reconsidered. 

"C'mon Maya my looking this good isn't easy, it takes time" Ryan smirked as he finally opened the door.

"Okay, okay I admit your hair looks good but two whole hours - really?" I laughed as I admired his handy work. Suddenly, my smile disappeared as I noticed his horrified expression and my heart sank as I realized it only meant one thing. A makeover.

"Maya, you know I love you, so keep in mind everything that i'm about to say is in your best interest okay. But what the hell made you think wearing a hoodie that wouldn't even fit my dad's muscly as fuck, 10ft tall fitness instructor, to the biggest night on the Templeton High social calendar, was a good idea?! I'm not letting you leave the house in that awful ensemble, no buts." Ryan lectured whilst walking towards his older sisters room.

"but I like oversized..." I mumbled but knew there was no point in arguing.

"So do I when it comes to sleeping, just not when i'm going to Jason-sexypants-DeLuca's mansion for whats gonna be the best party of the year. Trust me you'll thank me late-aha!" Ryan exclaimed as his hands reached for a tiny scrap of red material. "Right where do I start..." He was gazing at me like I was his next class project and his arms were piled with everything from hairbrushes to heels. I gulped - this was gonna take a while....

After what felt like an eternity, I stepped back and looked in the mirror. It was strange, I didn't look like me, but then again that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. By some miracle Ryan had managed to tame my wild mane of dark brown hair and it fell loosely below my shoulders. I was wearing a black figure-hugging dress embroidered with hundreds of tiny red flowers and my small moon crescent necklace hung just above the neckline. Eye-shadow and mascara made my already large hazel eyes look bigger but also slightly drew attention towards my scar just below my eyebrow, a memory of my old life. On my feet, after much protesting, I was allowed to wear my grey Nike trainers, and although Ryan didn't necessarily approve, I felt a lot more comfortable when I could actually walk.

"Wow. I don't usually like to gloat but I worked wonders, I mean you went from stig of the dump to like Jenifer Lawrence or something." Ryan was clearly satisfied and I let out a sigh of relief, we could finally leave for Jason's.

................................................................................................................................................................

I knew kids at Templeton High were rich, I mean its not hard to figure out when you see the school has like 5 tennis courts, 2 indoor pools and a state of the art computer suite, but this.... this was on a whole other level. Through the sliver gates, palm trees lined the stone path towards the front entrance. Light from spinning spotlights reflected off a gigantic swimming pool already swamped with drunk party guests and music made it all the way across the courtyard blaring from huge flashing speakers. I looked down towards the ground nervously. 

"Whats the matter, never been to a party before?" Ryan chuckled.

"Nope, just never been to a Templeton High party before." - only I would be able beat up five masked men with knives no problem but be terrified of a rich-kid high school party. 

"Well no time like the present." Ryan winked as he took my hand and led me up the path.

Inside crowds of people bopped to old-school hiphop and the entire room vibrated from the base of the speakers. I pushed my way through the sea of people to try and spot a familiar face, I was definitely disappointed by the outcome.

"Ah Mrs Incredible, I see you left your super suit at home, but then again at least you kept the color scheme going - am digging the red and black. Planning on saving any lives tonight, or are you taking this evening off from your hero duties?" Tyler-mcdouche-face smirked.

"Haven't decided yet, especially since it appears you're still carrying on your arsehole duties." I winked as I internally punched the air at my not too lame comeback.

"Touche. Clearly someone needs a drink, or do heros not drink nowadays?" Tyler grinned as he took out a cigarette from his leather jacket. And just like that he riled me up again and I had to dig my nails into my palms to stop me from doing something stupid.

"Ugh I guess your right, talking to you for more than 5 seconds definitely makes me need a drink." I sighed as I made my way towards the bar. Once again I was lost in the sea full of swaying bodies and I had to skillfully side-step around five or so drunk guys who kept wanting to dance. Where was this bloody bar? After 15 minutes of aimlessly wondering through the endless crowded rooms I eventually made it. Now feeling a little less on-edge with the faintest buzz of alcohol warming my chest, I decided I was gonna enjoy myself and moved towards the exited cheers behind me. 

Suddenly out of nowhere a small white object zoomed towards my face, and before I had time to think I shot out my hand and caught it.

"Hey new girl, nice catch." A broad shouldered boy shouted as he beckoned towards me. Like Tyler he was wearing a leather jacket and I faintly remembered seeing them smoking together in the courtyard outside school. However despite his tylerness, I walked over as this was also where all the cheering was coming from. Now that I was closer I could see a large green table-tennis table decked out with triangles of red cups filled with drink. "Fancy filling in for Connor?" The boy asked after pointing at the boy on the floor lying in what looked like puke. 

I was just about to decline when I spotted Tyler on the other end of the table. At that moment I decided I was gonna beat Tyler at beer pong if its the last thing I do.

"I'm in."