CH.33 Father of the Bride

Start from the beginning

As they zigzagged through the trees and snow covered grounds, their nose picked up the scent of moose. They sniffed the ground and followed the scent. Owen had the advantage of knowing the land well. He had grown up running through those woods with Alec and Frank's pack. Xavier followed behind him as Owen took off over a low hill and arrived in a clearing.

The field was wide open with trees circling around like frozen audience. Two large moose with enormous antlers stood in the middle grazing at the little grass that poked through the sheet of snow.

Owen's wolf takes a quiet step forward as he feels his link open.

What's the play? Xavier asks him. He is surprised the king is letting him decide on the shots.

I'll go from the back, you go from the side. Owen responds back.

Okay, let's see what you got.

The two wolves began running towards the unsuspecting moose at full speed. Their paws crush the snow beneath them as they near the animals.

Just as Owen was about to leap at one of the moose, from the corner of his eyes he saw Xavier slow down and then completely stop.

Before Owen could process what he was up to, a massive amount of weight knocked him to the ground. Owen's wolf went crashing into the snow, sending it up like an avalanche as the moose ran for cover.

With a shake of his head, Owen quickly rushed to his feet and alerted all his senses. He looked around and found Xavier's dark wolf standing in the middle of the field as Frank's pack slowly stalked down from behind the trees.

What is this? Owen asked. He was not happy about being ambushed.

Let's see how well you do under pressure, Radacovick. Xavier said to him.

As if on cue, five wolves descended on Owen at once. Xavier watched the gray wolf carefully as it dodged and attacked.

He was good, he was really good.

Owen didn't miss a single attack. He was careful, precise, and meticulous. His movements were clean and fluent, no hesitation. But of course, Xavier had already known that. He took a deep breath as he prepared to really test the boy.

What do you love about Mavi? Xavier asked him.

Really? Now? Owen grunted.

You have thirty seconds to answer.

She's stubborn. She doesn't give up and she doesn't take no as an answer. She goes after what she believes in. She loves deeply and carelessly, it's her greatest strength and her greatest weakness.

Do you want kids? Xavier kept the rapid fire going as Owen fended off wolves left and right.

I never thought I could have them. But if that is Mavi wants, then that is what Mavi will get.

If you ever marry her, she will change her name to Radacovick, and the monarchy will no longer be House Dorin. It will be House Radacovick. I am sure it would have made Ivan proud.

I will marry her, sir. Owen said, cleaning up any doubt in Xavier's mind. But the monarchy will keep its name. She will be queen by her birthright and her birth name....not by marriage.

Xavier took a deep breath and signaled the pack to stop. All at once, the wolves backed off as Owen stood in the middle. His wolf still ready to attack and pounce any given moment.

Do you love her? Xavier asked.

More than my own life, Owen said with confidence. He watched Xavier closely from across the field as a flicker of sadness and hesitation flashed in his green eyes.