Chapter 75

<The ambush>

OMNISCIENT

Inalillahi wa inna ilayhir rajiun!

Terror gripped all the seated people birthing raw, undiluted fear.

What happened to the men? Ahmad wonders though the answer was apparent. They were clearly out numbered, no match for these audacious intruders. He had been taught long before then to keep calm in the face of danger.

Stay calm…Think!

Putting it to practice was hard, the dearest people to him were all there in one place at the same time with weapons being brandished in front of their eyes.

Calm down, Ahmad.

He noticed Rukkayya’s hand quivering from the corner of his eye.

Oh poor Dimples!

He took her hand in his squeezing it gently, though he dared not look at her for fear of what his eyes held.

“What do you want?” Alhaji Modibbo says to no one in particular, his voice is calm and measured not like that of a man whose whole existence was being held at gun point. The team leader was yet to make himself known.

A burly man walked down from the counter clasp within his gloved hand. He looked particularly sinister, despite his face being concealed by the face mask. His eyes were small and scary making him look like a man with little to lose ; A dangerous man.

There was another pestle tucked inside his trouser above his left pocket.

“Impressive!” he exclaims, his voice a deep and booming. “I must commend the confidence.” He stops his stroll behind Yusuf, directly facing Alhaji Modibbo on the opposite side.

The man spoke in such good English mismatching with is appearance.

“Name your price,” Kabiru announces gauging the man’s reaction.

He chuckles. “There is more to life than Money, Alhaji.” There was no accent in his pronouncement of ‘Alhaji’, he was either a northerner or someone who had been in the north for long.

He starts to walk slowly to the left of Yusuf around the table. “To answer your first question, sir__"

The gunman majestically took slow steps spreading horror as we went but. He passed Haneefah, Aisha, and Anty Hassana halting only behind Ahmad. Rukkayya tightened her grip, her chest heaved like there wasn’t enough oxygen getting to her lungs.
Ahmad starts to rise however Rulkayya reflexively pulls him back down, fear undisguised in her eyes as they met his.

“Ahh! Not do fast young man. I’m here for the gorgeous lady beside you.”

Huh?

Rukkayya’s hand fell from Ahmad’s, accompanied by a sinking feeling in the pith of her stomach. She felt a bit giddy and light headed though it passed quickly.

Ahmad looks from the man to Rukkayya in astonishment.

He bows saying “Madam, If you’ll do me the honour of rising.” He sounded so courteous as if he wasn’t the one leading over a dozen men heavily armed, brandishing their deadly weapons around.

“No, please!” Mammy pleads her voice stifled with fear.

Rukkayya starts to stand by Ahmad pulls her back.

“You are mistaken, I’m sure of it. I  am Ahmad Modibbo, son and heir to Modibbo Enterprises, the leading conglomerate in Nigeria. I am your target not her.” He was already on his feet. Rukkayya stubbornly got up too.

“Ahmad!”

“Stay out of this!”

The gunman looked at them both, amusement spelled out in his eyes. “ This is the cutest thing I have seen in a very long time. Unfortunately, My Target, we only have space for one person,” The man feigns a sad expression. “ And it ain’t you!” He adds.

Rukkayya mustered courage despite her pounding heart to stand beside her husband pushing the chair between them aside.

“She cant be of any value to you,” the chairman spoke after much observation. He wasn’t unable to deduce what was going on but whatever it was, he couldn’t risk them taking her. “She only launched her career. I have had mine long before she was born, trust me she’s a liability to you.”

“Okay Maestro, she will be ‘my liability’ then.” There was something in the way he emphasized the my that threatened to suck all the calm from Ahmad.

“ABBA!” He shrieks.

“Calm down Ahmadu, let me handle this.”

“I would love to watch you ‘handle’ this but I am kind of short on time.” He sweeps his free hand  in the air in front of Rukkayya.

“I am sure there is something we can do, you don’t have to take her with you!” Mammy pleads.

“Madam first lady, I liked you better when you were mute. Don’t worry, she’ll be treated as royalty,” he coaxes eyeing Rukkayya like she was a freshly dropped meal.

He signals her to start moving.

“No!” Ahmad pulls her behind him.

“Stop this! I am begging you,” she whispers moving out from behind him. She cups his face with trembling hands. “Don’t infuriate them, calm down for me please!”

“I can’t let you go.”

“Abeg wetin be this!” Another gunman yells.

The ring leader dismisses him. “Let them be.”

“I left something for you, its on your bed. Ahmad please be strong for me okay? Pray for me!”

He watched helplessly as did others while his beloved wife was escorted out.

****

Cliffhanger!!! 😬

What the hell just happened there? 😲

I'm sorry guys, I had crazy day yesterday, hence the delay.

I'll urge you to wait patiently for the next updates 😇

Meanwhile, do let me know what you think about this chapter

...and follow me on Instagram @meenahtu_99 and @99_lifestyle

Don't forget to vote and share 😉

xx

Amina H.