Chapter Sixteen

When you reach the end of what you should know, you will be at the beginning of what you should sense.
                          -Khalil Gibran

AHMAD

<The reunion>

"Salamu Alaikum, Sir its time for Zuhr," Mustapha informed.

"Wa alaikumu salam, Its time already?" I had been so occupied with the work on the screen opposite me that time sped by rather quickly. I glanced at the wall clock by my left. It seemed like time flies pretty fast ever since I resumed.  Mustapha is a life saver, If he hadn't informed me, I would have missed the Congregational prayer.

I immediately got up and headed to the masjid in time for the Jam'i prayer.

After the Imam said the Salam, my stomach rumbled, demanding a refill. I had burned away all of my breakfast at my workstation. The launch break was after Zuhr prayer but since I'm not a fan of breaks, I wasn't a regular observer. However, I did the unusual that day. I tagged along with Mustapha to the cafeteria. The man was genuinely surprised when I told him I was going there. He had tried to get me to eat launch at work several times in the past, even offering to pick up launch from home if the cafeteria food wasn't appealing. I had flat out declined, making him throw up his hands in defeat. Mustapha happily lead me upstairs the least crowded part of the cafeteria. The man had learned a whole lot about me in a short period of time. I avoid crowds whenever its not necessary to face them.

The staff must have been tired from all the elevator rides and climbing the stairs that the upper floor was empty.

"Sir what would you like to have?"

I had never been picky with food. "Same as you."

Mustapha looked at me and then smiled. I wished for a moment that I could hear what he was thinking. He went back down to get our order. I got my phone from the pocket to check my messages before my order arrived but my able and agile assistant was back before I was half way through. The man never seized to amaze me.

"Where is yours?"

"I'm going to get it right now."

I shook my head as he disappeared back down. He could have carried both at once, or even instruct the waiters to do so but he prefers to handle my affairs personally.

I had just started to eat my food when a shadow fell upon me.

"Mustapha you can't eat while standing, do have a seat!" I said without looking up but the shadow didn't budge, right then I knew it wasn't Mustapha.

I raised my head and came face to face with the owner of the shadow. The clicking of the spoon against the plate surprised me. I did not even remember that I was holding it. My anxiety, pain and suffering had been carefully sculpted in to the sight in front of me. I had no idea how long I had spent shockingly staring at the image but it was long enough to make me feel like my stomach had rumbled ages ago.

"Aren't you going to offer me a seat?"

The voice brought me back to reality. It could not have been a mirage. That sound had haunted me for a long time, It sounded too real to be a mirage.

She walked the little distance and occupied Mustapha seat. Mustapha! I had completely forgotten about him although in comparison to his replacement he seemed so insignificant.

"How are you here?" I managed to ask.

She smiled brightly making my heart want to free itself from the the rib cage that imprisoned it.