Chapter 38

Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you
                                                       - Rumi

HAFSAT
<The wild cat>

UNEDITED

"If it isn't the wildest!" Salma exclaims the moment I step in to her living room

"If it isn't the wildest!" Salma exclaims the moment I step in to her living room. It is medium sized. Unlike me Salma doesn't like large and spacious rooms. The walls are painted purple and white and the furniture is a lighter shade of purple. I settled on the sit opposite hers, letting my purse drop beside me.

"Says the craziest!"

Salma and I burst in to laughter. It reminds me of the good old days when we could laugh at things with utter abandon. Everything had grown to become more complex.

Salma orders one of her maid to get me apple juice, my favorite, the one that calms my nerves. She knows me too well. I sure needed a lot of nerve calming.

"How is Ahmad?" She asks innocently.

"I wouldn't know, you should ask his wife."

"I'm asking his wife-to-be."

"You think he'll marry me?" I ask. I needed to know what she was thinking, how she saw the whole thing.

"Well, I don't know about him but you...I know you," She points an accusing finger at me. "You have your ways and guy is quite smitten by you!"

"Ow! You flatter me!"

"How are  you gonna get Ahmad back?"

"I know him, Ahmad is strong in ways only I know And he is weak in ways only I know. I'm going to need to use that to my advantage.

"So you're taking advantage of him then?"

"No...no...I'd never! I'm merely guiding him down the right path kind of like he did for me but this time we both need it." I take along sip of the chilled juice, the taste of apple fills my mouth immediately and it remains long after I swallowed the liquid.

"Seriously though, what's the plan?"

The plan? Can one plan against destiny? Salma is right, yes I have my ways and I'd worked them the first time but look where that got me.

"There is no plan my darling, there's only the flow. I just can't give up, I've got him and I can't let him go. He fixed me, he made me a better person, a better muslim. That is not something you get everyday."

"I know my dear and I'm so sorry you had to go through that, Ridwan is a bastard!"

"My dear kitten, Ridwan ruined my life. He could have aimed at any thing but he choose the best, he played his cards right, he won. I can only take comfort in one thing...I paid him back fair and square."