01 || Through the Midnight

Start from the beginning

– ∆ –

Stiles' beaten-up sky-blue Jeep pulled up. The headlights brightened up the scenery, exposing the sign right in front: Beacon Hills Preserve - No Entry After Dark. The two didn't pay attention to it and exited the vehicle.

"We're seriously doing this?" Questioned Scott whilst fixing his red sweater.

His relentless friend slammed the door shut and grabbed a flashlight. "You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town." He chuckled and clapped Scott's arm before continuing forward.

"I was trying to get a good night's sleep before practice tomorrow."

"Right, 'cause sitting on the bench is such a grueling effort."

Scott rolled his eyes. "No, because I'm playing this year. In fact, I'm making first-line."

"Hey, that's the spirit!" The pale-skinned teenager 'encouraged' as they trekked through the lonely woods, "Everyone should have a dream, even a pathetically unrealistic one."

Chuckles escaped the other boy, "Just out of curiosity, which half of the body are we looking for?"

Stiles glanced up. "Huh! I didn't even think about that." He tittered, making Scott smile.

"And, uh, what if whoever killed the body is still out here?"

"Also, something I didn't think about."

Scott nodded to himself as they climbed an unsteady hill. "It's - comforting to know you've planned this out with your usual attention to detail."

"I know," Stiles grunted while hiking up the dirt slope.

"Maybe - uh - the severe asthmatic should be the one holding the flashlight, huh?" Wheezed his friend. He leaned against a tree and pulled out his inhaler. Shaking it first, he took a hit of it.

Stiles carried on without him. He was at the top when bright lights were seen up ahead. Quickly, he threw himself on the floor behind a tree root so he wouldn't be seen and turned off his flashlight. Scott joined a bit after, throwing himself on the ground. They watched as the deputies and cops looked around.

The corners of Stiles' lips contorted into an elated smirk, "Wait, come on!" With that, he was up and running

"Stiles!" Scott shouted and took a hit of his inhaler before standing up. "Wait up! Stiles! Stiles!" He followed after his best friend. Stumbling around, "Stiles!"

Finally listening to Scott, Stiles paused and waited. Before he could see it, a large dog came out of nowhere and barked at him, making him fall to the floor with a loud shriek. He scrambled to get back to his feet.

"Stay right there!" A cop ordered, making Stiles stay on the ground.

Scott took the chance to hide behind a tree. He didn't want to get caught tonight. His mom would ground him for life if she knew.