L'insecte de L'amour

Start from the beginning

"I'm gonna shoot it," Lance whispered. Keith jerked his head back towards Lance, panic exploding through him.

"Don't!" he hissed.

"It's the only way," Lance said gravely. "That bug is fucking huge."

"It's right next to my face, Lance!" Keith said. "It could bite me!"

"It'll be dead."

"Not if you miss!"

"I won't!"

With that, Lance rose his bayard to eye-level and took aim. Keith squenched his eyes almost all the way shut and leaned carefully to the side, bracing himself to be hit in the face with bug, whether it be alive or splattered.

The high-pitched sound of Lance's laser gun echoing through the air met Keith's ears first, quickly followed by Lance's loud whoop! Keith opened his eyes, only then realizing he'd managed to shut them all the way, and turned his head to look at the mass of gooey purple guts splattered on the tree.

"Told you I could do it!" Lance cheered, dancing on the spot like a fucking idiot. An adorable idiot, sure, but still an idiot.

Keith tried to keep the smile off his face, tried to continue to look unimpressed and annoyed as he stared at Lance, but he couldn't help the way his lips twitched upward. It didn't matter, in the end, as Lance didn't end up looking back at him, too distracted with his victory celebration.

He was so distracted, in fact, that he failed to notice a second one of the pink bugs crawling into sight on the tree directly behind him, even when Keith hissed his name and tried to get his attention.

Keith had been right to stand still upon Lance noticing the original bug, because now the bug beside Lance didn't appear to like his dancing. It launched itself off the tree in a terrifying show of secretly-having-wings and latched itself onto Lance's shoulder. Lance halted, obviously feeling the bug on him now, but he just continued to stand there. There wasn't really any protocol on bug attacks, unfortunately.

Lance looked at Keith, his eyes wide with a panic that Keith felt mirrored on his own face, when the bug leapt from his shoulder to his neck. Lance made a high pitched squealing noise and clenched his eyes shut.

"Keith," he squealed, so high-pitched it was almost silent. "Oh my God, help me - get it off, get it off, getitoffgetitoffgetitoff -"

Keith shushed him and Lance bit his lip, his face still pointed to the sky. The bug was crawling slowly across his neck. The rest of team Voltron, apparently having not noticed the commotion, had continued on through the trees without them, yet to notice their absence.

He edged his way closer to Lance, tiptoeing over branches and leaves and coming up right in front of Lance. "Stay still," he whispered. Lance whimpered in response.

Careful, so as not to startle the bug, Keith lifted his hand towards Lance's neck, intending to let the bug crawl onto his gloved hand and off of Lance. He had just laid his hand against Lance's throat, able to feel his thundering heartbeat even through his glove, when the bug stopped in its slow, steady movements towards Lance's face. It seemed to look at Keith hand, analyzing it. And then, deciding it wanted nothing to do with Keith, it dug it's tiny pinchers into Lance's skin.

"Fuck!" Keith said, and he hastily flicked the bug off Lance, absent-mindedly slicing through it with his sword as it flew away. Lance was making worried noises, his fingers scrabbling against the now reddened skin, and Keith batted his hands away, tilting his chin upward and getting a better look at the bite. It looked like a mosquito bite, honestly, but they couldn't exactly take their chances with random alien bugs.