Monster | Chpt 39

Bakugo's POV

I placed a sturdy hand on my bandage, seated with my back to Kirishima. I felt my heart race in my chest, knowing that everyone had seen me nearly kill my only...friend. If they hadn't thought of me as a monster before they certainly would now. Everyone always thought about me that way anyways, no matter how hard I try to be the best. I just knew deep down I didn't want (y/n) to see me that way, though she was the one who should.

Of everyone, she knew what I've done.

"There you are dear, try to contain yourselves when you're just sparring. No need to get all serious over a training exercise," Recovery girl said, patting Kirishima's arm. "I'll be back in a little while." I listened to her weak, pattering footsteps leave the room and I swallowed, though my throat was dry.

I glanced around to Kirishima who was sat on the other cot, his arms wrapped up and a patch on his cheek. He didn't look all that bad other than he looked tired and the ends of his hair were singed. Just the surface was a little cracked. I was glad he had the quirk and tenacity that he did or I might have really done damage and felt even guiltier. If I could feel guiltier.

"Hey bro," he said, his mouth quirking into a half smile.

"I'm sorry." he glanced up at me, thoroughly surprised. "I didn't think I was such a...weak coward who takes out his anger on his friends."

"Friends?" he asked and I glanced up, a solemn glare on my face.

"Yes." He was quiet again. "I saw the tabloid and I know it's fake. I just...it's so unfair. If you were with her I would have to see her...I'm sorry. I'm such a monster."

"A monster? Bro you're not a monster."

"I attacked you because you're friends with the girl I like." His face shifted, taking in what I had just admitted. He tucked away the point for discussion later.

"Look. I know you're not the best at the whole...talking thing," he began, "but you're not a bad person. You just don't know how to deal with stuff like this correctly and you'll learn. You're a fast learner. You realize your mistake and you're sorry. It makes sense you attacked me."

"What?"

"Yeah, I was finding it hard to understand where you're coming from with (y/n)." I didn't dare look at him. "I get it. You've never had this sort of feeling before and I know you think getting close to people won't turn out good because of who you are and the hero life, but trust me when I say you're wrong. You're scared."

"No, I'm no--" I paused, glancing back up at Kirishima. I let out a breath, knowing I had to admit it some time.

"It's just something you have to work through, which you can do. You're the manliest guy I know besides myself," he said and I let out a soft 'tch'. "And it's a little harder because this is (y/n) we're talking about here. Lot of history there and your personalities clash a little because of it. Just means you have to work a little harder."

"Yeah." Kirishima grinned at my agreement.

"So you'll try to be closer with her?" he asked and I glanced up at him with a painful look on my face. "Okay smaller steps."

"Again, I'm sorry. I thought I was better in control," I replied.

"I forgive you Bakubro."

"Must you insist on calling me that shitty hair?"

"Hey, you have your nickname and I have mine," he said. "So what are you going to do?"

"I--I don't think she's...not her."