Karanuro Labs | Chpt 115

hi

Enjoy~

(y/n)'s POV-

"Here, make sure you take a jacket. It might be cold inside," my mother said, handing me my jacket as we stood in the parking lot of Karanuro labs.

"Thanks," I said, draping it over my arm. Kacchan scanned the outside of the building. It was pretty big, the entire thing made of a thick white concrete. The windows were even on either side and one each floor, the first and second. The front had a small, flat awning of the same bleach white stone, propped up with 2 similar pillars. The front had 2 thriving plants on either side of the awning, out in the sun instead of shaded. The dirt was wet from being recently watered and the pots were a bright white as well. On either side of the awning and entrance side walk they had small green plants dispersed evenly among water and white rocks. Everything was still outside except for the gentle, natural wind. It rustled the thin plant leaves and shook the small sign telling us to wait outside until the next tour time. We had about 2 minutes, but the place looked very professional and timely. I had no idea why anyone would tour a failed science lab, but I suppose they had some machinery to display. Maybe like a weird museum.

"We should just go in," Kacchan scoffed. I didn't know why I was so nervous, it wasn't like my dad was just going to be there. It wasn't like he could be missing and still hang around here. Why would he? I placed a hand on my head, feeling sick. It was probably a stress headache or something like that. I was beginning to believe that the part of my brain that was configured oddly always acted up when I thought too hard about my dad. Trying to recover memories that were trapped in there wasn't all too easy. I let out a breath, holding onto Kacchan's arm as we walked in. There was a small lobby at the front that was gray and drab, a woman shuffling papers around in a glass box to the right.

"Excuse me, is there a restroom around here?" my mother asked. The women nodded, pointing through a set of glass doors. My mother disappeared, heading to the bathroom. We headed towards the main hall, stopping to wait for someone to show us around.

"You alright?" Kacchan asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I replied, seeing a few other people in the tour time slot. They were just waiting around for the same reason we were.

"Oh my--" We glanced up at a guy approaching. He was wearing tour guide things, walking straight past the 3 other people at the side. "Well look at you!"

He was a stout guy, white hair and crinkles around his eyes. They were a warm kind of blue and he stopped, leaning back on his heels. He placed his hands into his pockets and I glanced behind us, wondering if he was looking at someone else. Of course, he was looking at Kacchan and I. More specifically me.

"Me?"

"You're Hatanaka right? (y/n)?"

"Uhm..."

"I saw you were on one of my groups for today," he said. "Yoru's daughter."

"...yeah, that's me," I said. Kacchan's face furrowed, grasping my hand.

"You look just like you did. I'm your dad's old boss," he explained. "I recognized your first name, though you have your mom's last name listed on the reservation. I figured it might be you and here you are!"

"What do you mean I look just like I did?"

"Oh, well your dad brought you into the lab all the time. He always did paperwork whenever you were here though, don't worry about anything dangerous," he laughed. The other tour guests were watching the interactions. For such a supposed, smart scientist this guy didn't seem to get that I was very uncomfortable. "Your mom, Cascade, was working whenever he brought you in."