James, Lily, and the Marauders

0 3 

Kilometers away, the Hogwarts express sped towards Harry, a new generation in its midst. These students lived a different life than Harry—still aware of the war, but from a distance, like spectators who think they know how to play Quidditch.

While most students chatted with their friends, there was one student who remained alone. In the hall of the train's caboose, James Potter leaned against the wall with his arms folded, waiting for his girlfriend to arrive. Still in his street clothes, he wore dark jeans and a v-neck that he knew made his shoulders look good. His dark hair was swept back in a very intentional casual look and he glanced down at his watch pointlessly. He'd already checked it a dozen time. He knew it was 4:47 PM.

Lily was on her way and he was pumped. This was the first time he would get to see Lily all summer, since his parents had decided to spend the holiday in Spain. Sirius had come with him and of course he'd invited Lily, but her parents had heard the words "month with wizard boyfriend" and shut the whole thing down. The two of them started dating officially at the end of last year (Aprilish. Okay, maybe May.) and James thought it was pretty unfair that the moment he and Lily became official, he didn't get to see her for three months.

Suddenly she appeared, swinging open the door, and James perked up. Her light auburn hair framed a beautiful heart shaped face. She was already dressed in her Headgirl robes (typical) with her badge pinned proudly to one side. She saw him leaning against the wall and smiled. James's heart skipped a beat and he couldn't help but smile back.

"James!!" She greeted brightly, speeding her pace as she approached him.

"Lils!" He exclaimed affectionately, wrapping one arm around her shoulders and pulling her in close. Her auburn curls filled his gaze and her emerald eyes sparkled in a smile.

"It's so good to see you!" She said. "Letters just aren't the same!"

"Amen to that," He said, grinning.

She suddenly glanced down at his chest and James glanced down too, to see what she was looking at. "Where are your robes?" She asked, glancing up at him through long eyelashes.

His shoulders lifted in a shrug. "Oh, somewhere. I'll find them."

"James!" She laughed in exasperation, meeting his eyes. "You're head boy, you have to—"

"I'll change before the meeting." James said, waving his hand dismissively. "I have more important things to attend to." He smiled mischievously and gazed into her emerald green eyes before he leaned in and kissed her deeply.

"PDA!" A loud voice suddenly boomed from the doorway. Lily jumped away, or at least as far as she could with James' arms around her, and James glared, unmoving, at the intruder in annoyance.

"Padfoot." James complained loudly as Sirius walked up, grinning wolfishly and flanked by Remus and Peter. Sirius' dark hair was perfectly swept back (again the intentional casual thing) and he was halfway changed, his collar open (strategically), his tie dangling around his neck. He hated the things and refused to wear them outside of class.

Right behind him, Remus grinned widely at his friends. His jaw was rugged with stubble despite the fact that he had shaved that morning and his sandy brown hair hung across his eyebrows. Peter's face was rounder, his dirty blonde hair shaggy, and a black and white Led Zeppelin peeked through the gap in his robes.

Sirius lazily pulled open the compartment behind James and sauntered in. He didn't look back to see if others would follow; he knew they would. Sirius surveyed the options before spinning into the corner seat, settling both arms on the tops of the seats. Remus took the other side and leaned back against the window as Peter scooted in the seat closest to the door. James grinned fondly at them all. Sirius he had seen all summer, but the other two he hadn't seen since May and it felt good to be back. James took Lily's hand and pulled her inside to stand in the doorway.