Chapter 2

Two weeks had passed and I'd been going through all my paperwork like an obsessive lunatic. Not once before had I ever showed so much dedication for my job as I had in the past weeks, but my mind kept wandering off to Killian if I didn't occupy it with something else.

But now that all the paperwork was done, I had to find another hobby to keep my mind off of Hook, and because Henry was spending most of his time at Violet's, I figured I'd take the empty house as an opportunity to clean it top to bottom.

My hopes of Killian returning were fading away with the second and I figured it wouldn't mind to carry some boxes with his stuff away to the garage. If I wanted to cure my heartbreak, I had to let go of him. The longer I held on to the illusions he'd come back, the more it'd hurt in the end.

I had avoided Regina as much as possible in the past few weeks. My cheeks still turned red whenever I thought of the strange dream I'd had and I was rather happy that I'd managed to steer clear of her, ever since our meeting in the Sheriff Station. Fortunately, the dream hadn't returned, but the one occurrence had been enough to make me feel ashamed for the rest of my life.

Henry was eating at his other mother's apartment today. I wasn't in the mood to cook anything and since Henry would get a healthy meal at Regina's, I figured I'd just go out and buy some junkfood to go, at Granny's.

However, my plans were rudely interrupted when Henry asked if I could come by to drop off his Geography books. He had a test on Monday and he wanted to study, but his books were still with me.

As much as I dreaded going over to Regina's house, I didn't want my conflicted feelings regarding the dream inflict upon my son's capabilities of studying, so I set aside whatever complexities I felt and drove over to the big, white mansion.

I parked my yellow bug where I always parked it and inhaled deeply before I opened the gate to Regina's garden. It wasn't a big deal. I was just a mom, helping out her kid in need. If I'd just be slightly in luck, I wouldn't even have to see Regina.

But, of course, things didn't go as planned. Why would they? Regina opened the door and gratefully accepted Henry's geography books.

"Do you have any plans for dinner?" Regina asked, kindly, and Emma stayed still for a moment. "I'm just asking, because I made lasagna and I've overestimated the amount of food two people eat. I've got way too much, do you want to eat with us? I'm sure Henry would like it."

I pursed my lips together and stepped slightly back. "No, thanks. I.. I don't want to be a bother."

"You're not a bother! I haven't spoken to you in what feels like forever. I'm sure your junkfood can wait a night," she teased and I felt my cheeks heat up.

"I had planned an overly healthy, vitamin filled meal, actually."

"Oh?" Regina replied, with a raised eyebrow. "That's new. What were you planning on eating?"

"Burgers," I curtly said with a slight smile and Regina opened the door further. I knew there was no getting out of this now, but the least desirable thing in this moment, was to spend an evening with Regina.

I huffed softly as I stepped inside. Regina observed me for a moment. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No," I responded, way too quickly.

"That was fast."

"It's true. Why would you think such a thing?"

Regina shrugged. "Because we usually talk much more during the week. I don't know, it's weird, but I felt like you were being distant."

"Everything's just hard, at the moment," I replied, as casually as possible.

Regina clearly didn't believe me. She always managed to look sceptically in a way that made me want to spill all my secrets and pay her for getting them out of me. She had a certain effect on me. Ever since I met her.