Lumiere rubbed at the back of his neck and he nervously cleared his throat, "You know ... she has a point-"

    "Shut up." Dustin bit at him, "She doesn't have a point."

    I knocked his hand away from me, suddenly quite upset that he had the impudence to touch me so gently while speaking so boldly to his friend. Dustin did not yet know of Lumiere's sacrifice, so I could not blame him in full. But it angered me that Dustin was being so brazen to a man who just gave up his entire life in order to protect him. If only Dustin knew what has become of Lumiere's status, he would not be so harsh.

    I crossed my arms tightly over my chest, "Don't talk to him like that, Dustin."

    Dustin glanced between Lumiere and I. Then rolled his eyes at us both and massaged his temples, "So you're teaming up against me, is that it?"

    "We are not teaming up. I am the one who came here to talk to you, not him. I am the one you should be mad at if you feel so inclined." I almost thought I had gone too far, then I remembered Brandon once said Dustin wouldn't have fallen in love with me if I made things easy. So why change now, "I am the one trying to knock some sense into you since you have seemingly gone suicidal."

    Lumiere bit his lip and seriously considered staying silent, then he regrettably added, "She has another point."

    Dustin's eyes closed and his teeth clenched, "Lumiere, I swear to God-"

    "I'm just saying – you know – I don't necessarily think her plan is a great one but maybe we should consider her perspective because she isn't completely wrong either." Lumiere was trying desperately to keep the peace, "I agree with you Dustin, our priority should be getting the vials to the Council so they can begin making the cure for Sadie's sake."

    "Good." Dustin ground out, "End of discussion."

    "But," Lumiere continued quickly, "I agree with Sadie as well. We can't send a sheep to the wolves, they will eat you alive. Count Marx has been waiting for this his entire life, long before any of us were born. He has been planning and strategizing and scheming for this precise moment to make sure it happens exactly the way he wants it to. Do you really think that sadistic asshole is just going to let you walk away?"

    "That doesn't matter." Dustin grumbled.

    "Yes it does." I argued.

    "This conversation is over, Sadie." The way he said my name just then was damn near insulting – as though it tasted of vinegar – and it made my ears ring with white noise to hear him so repulsed, "I am going to bring the ingredients to the Council. It is not up for debate, it has to be done."

    "But not like this." I told him. I refused to give up, I had to get my point across before it was too late, "What if there were another way-"

    "This is no other way." Dustin boomed. He winced and one hand wrapped tightly around his torso. He hadn't been prepared for such a vocal outburst and the power behind his declaration sent vibrations through his midsection. His other hand fisted at his side and his eyes closed to concentrate on breathing, his voice evened, "If we make one wrong move, you die. It is as simple as that. I will not risk your life just to spare my own."

    He did not hear his words the same way I did. To him, his decision sounded like a battle cry of great victory. To me, it just sounded like a broken record. The same tune I have heard over and over again, one that foretold of death and anguish.

    "I am sorry if you don't like it but I am doing this to protect you." He said calmly.

    My throat closed unexpectedly, "I have heard that before. But what if I were laying in that bed and you were trying to convince me to not sacrifice myself to the Council? We both know you would do the exact same thing that I am trying to do."