39.

39. POV Yibo

That was a really awkward and weird mood right now. But still, it was good to sit across from Zhan, look at him and hear his voice. I didn't notice any of that at the art exhibition.

I think Zhan has changed a lot since then. He seems more mature, more grown up. Or maybe it's just me that feels like he's matured.

In a way, I'm really glad that Zhan agreed to talk with me. I didn't even think to ask for it in the first place. I mean, the question just kind of slipped out of my mouth. And I was really surprised that Zhan agreed. Because somehow he didn't seem to really want to talk to me.

And again, I'm so worried. I should be focusing on my work. Especially since my manager arrived today. If he sees that I'm distracted, I'm gonna get in trouble again.

Besides, I don't want him blaming Zhan like he did before. Or spend hours and hours on end telling me how bad a relationship is. Even if Zhan and I don't have that. We're not even friends.

Friends, huh, I can't imagine being friends with him. Not because we were once a couple. But because then I'd have to pretend my feelings changed after all the time. Like they've gone away. But they're not.

I hope I get a chance to talk to him before I go home. I could stay longer if I wanted to, since I'm on vacation after this week. But I still have so much to do.

For example, my move. Now that Seungyoun and Li Wenhan want to move into a new apartment and move out of the flat share, the apartment is too big for me alone and I will rent it out.

I have already found a new flat. There are only two rooms and it is close to my parents' house. But before I move, I have to sort out things that I don't need anymore. Clean up my life, if you like.

I haven't sorted anything out in years. Only recently, when I was at home for three days, I went through my shoe closet and found shoes there that I had never worn before. I put them in the closet and forgot them.

But back to Zhan. Unfortunately he is leaving tomorrow and I only have time today to find out more about him. I want to know if he is with this man or this woman with the little child that still looks like a baby.

I would like to find out if Zhan ever had real feelings for me. Or if I was really just a pastime for him. Just a fling, nothing more.

Which I don't really want to believe. I can't imagine Zhan being that kind of guy who'd go along with something like that. I want to believe that he only gets involved with someone if he has feelings for them.

Man, I'm starting to wonder about that again. Why do I let my thoughts confuse me again? Why can't I just let it go? And just focus on my work.

Maybe it was a shock to see Zhan again and an even bigger shock to realize that he might have someone else. And the biggest shock of all for me was to realize that nothing at all had changed in my feelings for him. Even though he left me then, even though he broke my heart.

All I can really think about now is that I want to talk to him. I don't know if I have the courage to ask him why he left. But I do know I want to find out from him whether he ever loved me.

***

In the evening...

By an accident, I just found out that the woman from last night is not Zhan's girlfriend. And the kid isn't his either. Somehow that relieves me.

There is a supermarket near Zhan's apartment. I dressed up and went in there because I wanted to get something to drink. That's when I noticed the woman with her baby. It took me a moment to recognize her. Last night it was dark and only the little light on the front door at Zhan's was on.

It's different at the supermarket, where everything is brightly lit. Anyway, she was talking to another woman who also had a child with her. And she told her that she was in the hospital last night with her daughter because she had a high fever. And that her neighbor was driving her.

So Zhan is just her neighbor. Somehow she figured out I overheard them talking and she asked me who I was. I apologized and told her my name was Bob and I overheard the conversation and at first I thought she was talking about someone I know.

I can hardly tell her, Hey I am Wang Yibo, the ex boyfriend of your neighbor Xiao Zhan. The crazy ex-boyfriend who disguises himself to find out more about his ex-boyfriend. And this for reasons I can't explain to myself.

And because she was so overdoing it with her shopping and was only there with the stroller, I offered to take her home as an excuse to eavesdrop. To help her with her shopping.

I don't know why, but she accepted immediately. So I accompanied her home and carried her bags into the apartment. When she walked me to the door and thanked me again for my help, Zhan of all people came home.

"Yibo?" Asked Zhan.

"Yibo? No, his name is Bob." Answered his neighbor.

"Oh, yes, Bob. Okay Bob, what brings you here?" Asked Zhan.

"He helped me with my groceries. Once again I overdid it and didn't know how to bring it home. So he offered to help me." She says on it.

"Yes, exactly. I was just in the supermarket getting something to drink, and I saw that she needed help. So I offered to help her." I answer hastily.

"That's very nice of you, Bob. How about I invite you in for a cup of tea as a reward?" Asked Zhan with his head tilted.

"Oh right, how rude. I should have offered you a tea." Says the neighbor, scratching the back of her head.

"I'm sorry Bob, I completely forgot. Would you like a cup of tea?" She asks me.

" Dear, I'll take care of it. You go inside, unpack your groceries and take care of your daughter. I'm sure she'll wake up soon." Zhan replies and I nod nervously.

" Do you know Bob by any chance? I feel as if you know each other." She said, looking back and forth between us.

"Bob, or rather Wang Yibo and I know each other." Says Zhan and the eyes of the neighbor widen.

"You're kidding me. This is Wang Yibo? Model, etc. Wang Yibo?" Ask the woman and stare at me.

"Without his disguise, you will recognize him, right Yibo?" Asked Zhan and I take off my cap, fake glasses and mask and her eyes soon fall out.

"Wow, the most famous star here in China helped me with my groceries and my neighbor knows him." She noticed.

" I'll explain everything later. Yibo, come inside." Zhan said. His neighbor goes to her apartment, and I follow Zhan. I can feel my hot cheeks, and I realize they must be more than obvious.

Nervously, I followed Zhan to his apartment. He offers me a place in the living room and goes into the kitchen to make us some tea. Damn, what do I do now? How the hell can I talk my way out of this? I guess I can't explain why I'm really there.

 Damn, what do I do now? How the hell can I talk my way out of this? I guess I can't explain why I'm really there