Chapter 9 House of cards

Start from the beginning

There hadn’t been a chance yet to gain an audience with the king. There had been meetings and official dinners all week. He couldn’t spare a minute for her.

Vara sighed. She couldn’t avoid Cyrus forever.

“Are you hiding from me, Vara?”

She jumped at the sound of his voice. “You almost gave me heart attack.”

“If that’s what it takes to get you to speak to me,” Cyrus moved closer.

Vara took a step back and felt the wall press against her back. “Shouldn’t you be with your wife?”

Cyrus took another step. If he reached out he would be able to touch her. “She’s not my wife yet,” he commented.

“But she will be,” Vara said evenly. Her dark eyes held a sad expression.

Cyrus reached out his hand and cupped her cheek. “Are you jealous?” he teased her. He leaned forward. His breath tickled her cheek.

She placed her hand over his and pulled it away from her face.”Where is the rest of your entourage?” she asked.

“They have retreated to their chambers to get ready for tonight’s entertainment.”

“Of course,” Vara nodded. She had forgotten she had promised the lady Ariane to help with her performance. She wished she hadn’t committed herself to aid the woman. “Then I should do the same.”

A hint of a smirk played on Cyrus’ lips. “So you will actually be attending this evening? I was worried I had to excuse you again.”

“I will be there,” Vara promised.

“Then you can share a couch with me,” Cyrus insisted.

“You should share a couch with your wife,” Vara said quietly. She was tired of playing this game.

Cyrus shook his head. “No one will think anything of it, Vara. To them you are merely my sister.”

Vara remained silent at his comment. Anything she said now would only encourage him.

“Vara…”

“I have to get ready,” she hastily said and she brushed by him to her chambers. She would need to speak with the king as soon as possible.

***

Ariane rubbed he palms against her dress. Why had she insisted on performing tonight? She had never been good with speaking in public. Her brother was the one that did the talking. It was his right and his duty. Even Torcan was better at it than her and she was a noble man’s younger son.

Ariane bit her lip. She was going to make a fool of herself.  She should just withdraw before it was too late.

She took a deep breath. No. There was no going back. Her father was counting on her. This was the only thing she was able to do for the kingdom; wed herself to the prince of the house Aurelios and win his favor. She couldn’t give up now.

The servant girl entered the room again. What was her name? Cloway?

It had been Vara who had appointed the girl to her since she did not have a personal maid. She had never had a personal maid. She had servants, but none especially for her alone.

It was nice to have someone tend to her.

She turned to Chloe. “Come,” she ordered, “do my hair.”

Chloe curtsied and took the brush and worked through lady Ariane’s honey colored locks. The Tireze princess was very different from the lady Vara. The only time she spoke to any of the servants was to give them orders and even then her voice sounded detached.