Like Real People Do

• Věnováno Hozier

Its been a week. He hasn't texted or called yet. I'm moving in a week. Summer is ending in 2 weeks. Im starting school in 2 weeks. I'm scared, anxious and as much as I hate to admit it, a little giddy and excited. Jen isn't allowed to come with me but her parents promised they would let her visit through out the year. She told me it would be alright and that I better make a huge, partying group of friends so that she could have some fun when she got there. I haven't told her that Elijah supposedly lives in California and attends the same school I will be attending. 

Im finishing up some of my packing when I get a text. Is It Elijah? I jump to my feet and sprint across the room to my phone. If you are picturing in your head that this all goes super graceful and swift, you are incorrect. On my little sprint to my phone, my leg gets caught on one of my suitcases and I trip and fall onto the floor, hitting my head on the edge of the bed on the way down. Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch. I get up and feel something dripping down my face. I lift my hand up to my forehead and of course when I pull it back theres a red, warm, and sticky liquid on my finger tips. Real smooth, Rhyan. 

Just then, my brother walks through the door way and sees the blood on my forehead. His forehead wrinkles with concern."Are you okay? What happened?" He asks, his voice thick with concern.

"I just tripped on my suitcase." He shakes his head, laughs then comes over and crouches down next to me. "Rhyan, you gotta be more careful." He tells me, addressing me as if I were a toddler. I scowl at him. "It's fine," I tell him.

"Its just a little cut." He laughs. "Oh sweetie, you wish it were a little cut." He gets up and walks out of the room. "Come and find me if you need any help with that." He calls from down the hall. I stick my tongue out at him even though I can't even see him anymore.

I feel the blood making it's way down the rest of my face so I head to the bathroom. When I get in the mirrors view and see myself, I wince. Dark circles under my eyes, my hair a mess in its bun on top of my head, and across my forehead, a scary looking, red slash is still spilling out blood. Great. Fantastic. A sigh escapes my lips as I reach for some tissues and wipe the blood from my face. I smear some Polysporin onto the cut, find a band-aid big enough to cover up the whole cut and smack it on.

Finally back in my room I reach for my phone and see that It wasn't even Elijah. It was my mom asking me if I needed anything from the store. I text her back and tell her, no, in fact I don't need anything from the store. She sends me back a straight face emoji. I roll my eyes, set my phone down on my bed and go back to my packing. Not even five minutes later my phone makes it's little texting ring. This time I am careful get up slowly and walk to my phone. Why didn't I just take it with me? Thinking it is my mother, I pick it up lazily and check to see what she said. It wasn't her. It was Elijah. 

With a smile plastered onto my face I quickly unlock my phone and check to see what he said.

"I'm sorry for not being able to talk since our date, how are you doing?" I smile as I text back, "I'm just packing... by myself... in my room... packing..." And right after I hit send I mentally slap myself in the face for sending that. Why oh why am I so stupid sometimes? Then I mentally slap myself for caring, and the third time for smiling. Oh my gosh, I'm such a damn girl! I get another text but this time it isn't from Elijah. It's from Adam Reilly. The school Jock.

It says, "Hey babe, heard you were leaving? I'll throw a party at my place for you tonight." I shake my head and laugh. Me and Adam used to be best friends growing up. I don't know why we stopped.

I text back saying, "Sure why not? What time?" He tells me eight should be good and I say okay. I hadn't realized Elijah had texted back.

He said "Haha, Do you maybe want to hang out today? Just you and me?" I wince. Crap. I should at least invite him to the party. I tell him about the party and ask him if he would want to come. He sends me a frowny face and I smile. I send him one back and tell him we should do it another but I can't skip this party. He finally says, "Okay, I'll be there. But just for you. See you soon." 

I laugh at his way of saying, "Just for you." and then open up my messages with Jen and text her about the party tonight. She calls me a couple of seconds later.

"Adam Reilly is throwing you a party?! Oh my gosh!! I'll be over at your house to get ready with you at around like... Seven-ish?" That late? That's not normal for Jen...

"Woah, why so late?" I question her. "No reason..." She says a little to innocently. Then in a high pitched voice she squeals, "Okay!! See you then! Muah, Muah! Love you, bye!!" She hangs up before I get to say anything back. I hold the phone away from me and look at it oddly. What the heck was that? 

Josh comes barreling into my room. Out of breath he holds up his phone and says, "Party? At Adams? For you? Tonight?" I nod. He gives me a questioning look then he asks, "Why?" My mouth hangs open in disbelief. "Why not?" I shout back.

He tries to hide a laugh. I chase him down the hall. He runs into the living room and onto the couch. I jump on top of him and start tickling him. He screams, laughs and tries to get away. He catches my fist in the air and just then Josh's best friend Luke walks into the room. He both freeze and look up. He gets me when I'm not paying attention and pushes me off the couch. I fall on my ass and Josh and Luke laugh. 

"This isn't over." I point an accusing finger at him then get up, brush myself off, nod at Luke and walk past him. 

When I reach my room and check my phone I see that its filled with about a million messages from random people from my school that I either have never talked to or have only talked to once saying that they're coming to the party and can't wait and who's bring the booze. How did these people even get my number?

I look around for something to do until Jen gets here and realize I still havent finished packing the one suitcase I started hours ago. I sit down in front of the suitcase and continue packing clothes and bathing suits, feminine hygiene things, deodorant, undies, bras, and my Nintendo DS. There's only one suitcase left to fill and it's my shoes/makeup/extra-crap-Jen-thinks-I-need. I have three fat-ass suitcases. Hey, at least I'm packing low for a full year. This is what some girls bring on freakin two week vacations. 

Somewhat later Josh and Luke come into my room, turn on Criminal Minds and drag me onto the bed to watch with them. We watch, joke and talk until it turns into seven o'clock and then Jen gets here and its show time. She pulls me off the bed while Luke and Josh struggle to keep me on the bed and I'm screaming for help. Finally Luke and Josh let go and the feeling in my arms slowly come back. They laugh and continue to watch the show while me and Jen go into my closet and she gets me dressed.

I throw on black skinnys with holes in the knees, my black converse, and THE 1975 Robbers T-shirt and call it and outfit while she struggles into a tight skirt and a tank top. I laugh as I watch her try and get into her chosen outfit and she curses at me. I walk out and throw myself onto the bed in between Luke and Josh. I feel someone playing with my hair and assume its Josh but when I look up I see that it's Luke. He's watching the TV and I wonder if he even realizes what he's doing.

I really look at him for the first time. He has light brown hair and a nice jaw. He's a little more on the skinny side then the muscular side but he's getting there. He also has nice blue eyes. The type that you just want to drown in. I've never thought of him as more then an older brother. I hope he's never thought as me as more an a younger sister. What do I care anyways? I'm moving for a year. Even if I wanted a relationship I couldn't have one. 

When Jen finishes, she comes out and joins us on the bed. We lounge around until 8:20 and then decide to leave. Jen never ever lets us be early or on time for a party. She thinks it makes us look too ready and too excited. I just do whatever I have to do to please her. We all get into Josh's car and he drives us to Adam Reilly's Going Away Party for Rhyan. 

Maybe that party a couple weeks ago wasn't my last Canadian party. 

~I finally got another chapter out, It's not super long... But its decent. Took me a while to try and figure out what to actually write about... Tell me what you like or dont like or what to add in next. Thanks.~