Chapter 19, Cards On The Table

*Hey guys! Thank you so much for the 685 reads! It's a big accomplishment for me! I appreciate all the love and support, especially from Baby_Walrus06! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- The King -

Footsteps. In front of me. 

Loud and heavy, by the sound of it. A guard. I don't bother lifting my head from the list of Outlanders still out there. 

"Speak." I demand, authority laced through my voice. I'm not one to be disobeyed.

A moment of silence passes until a male voice fills the office room. 

"Sir, we have just gotten reports of the assassination mission. Something went wrong." To this, I lift my head. Standing before me is a burly guard. He looks scared. Of me.

He's probably afraid I'll take my anger out on him. I guess I've been known to do that.

I refuse to feel guilty, though. It's a good thing that he's scared. People who are scared obey. They do what they're told. And that is how it's supposed to be.

"Gather The Hushes and tell them to meet me in the Throne Room. Now." I command, my voice as booming as thunder. I watch his scramble away. When he's gone, I stand up from my cushioned chair. 

Before I leave, I lock away all of my very important papers. When I'm satisfied that nothing of value is still out in the open, I walk out of the office, locking the door behind me. With a graceful turn around the corner, my cape billows behind me as I make my way to my Throne Room.

I make sure to walk with a sense of great importance. Spine straight, head up, shoulders back. The regal image of a powerful King. Representation is power, and power is everything. 

Something I've learned the hard way.

Pushing the door open into the Throne Room, my footsteps echo against the marble floor. I walk to my throne, a force of nature to be reckoned with. 

I try not to glance at the empty throne next to mine as I sit down, but fail. No matter how many times I tell myself to get rid of the empty throne and forget about her, I can't.  

Amara was my queen, the only person I've ever loved. Long brown hair and soft blue eyes. Her mind was sharp, her body one of a warrior. She was a queen in every sense of the word. 

Without her now, I can't bring myself to feel any emotions. But maybe that's for the best. Being emotional is a weakness I cannot afford to have.

I take care to position myself in a way that makes the people that look at me feel small. And makes me feel powerful.

I look up to the sound of quiet footsteps. Mutliple footsteps. 

I'm met with the walking force of death known as the Hushes. Quickly, I scan each of their faces, counting. 

Jack, Raven, Indigo, Coal...and that's it. That's it. Where the hell is Void? And that annoying little follower of her's, Leo?

As they reach my throne, they bow. I'm impatient, but I let them. When it's appropriate, I bark at them to rise.

"Where are Void and Leo?" I ask, my voice dangerously calm.

Indigo opens her mouth to speak, but hesitates. My temper flares. I struggle to keep my voice steady.

"Have something to say, Indigo?" The sentence sounds like a question, but anyone listening would know it's more like a command.

"Well, um..sir. Void and Leo's mission was a fail." Her soft voice is surprisingly steady, despite the cirumstances.

A take a deep breath. I must refrain from screaming at them, at her. I am above that.

"I already know that." I state, waiting to see if anyone's told her anything else.

"Well, sir, that's all I know." She murmurs.

'Good.' I think to myself. 'If the Hushes don't know, it's impossible for anybody else to know.'

A breathe in a deep sigh of relief. Last thing I need is for other people to find out and think me weak and unable to make good decisions to lead my kingdom. When people think you're weak, they attack. They take your place, your power. And that's the last thing I want. 

"You are not allowed to tell anybody else about the mission failure. If you do, you know what will happen." I command, letting the not-so-silent threat hang in the air like blades above their heads. Or more like blades above their families' heads.

"Yes, sir." They answer in unison, nodding.

"Good, you are dismissed." I tell them, and they leave the room without a word.

I wait several moments sitting on my throne, unmoving. Unthinking. A break I can only take for so long, but need desperately. 

I hold my swirling thoughts back for a few more seconds before I let go, my thoughts and ideas rolling in like a wave. 

'Void and Leo are missing. Something went wrong.' I summarize mentally. 

My mind is already coming up with a plan, but it's not a plan I want to execute. I will have to put cards I've been hiding for years on the table.

'Options, I need options.' I think desperately.

I could send the Hushes to get Void and Leo. But if Void, the best assassin I've ever had in service to me, failed, then so will the rest of the Hushes, despite there being more of them.

And I can't just march a small army over to the Vexes and demand to get Void and Leo back. The Vexes will see the army coming. I could lose soldiers that I need for the war. 

With a frustrated sigh, I set my mind on my first plan. The one I don't want to do. Because I'll have to give up on the revenge I want so badly to avenge my wife. 

But it's the only way. 

The last thing I want is for the Vexes to use Void and Leo against me. The Vexes could torture secrets out of them both.

 So I need to get them back. And fast.