Chapter 13, Good Try

*What's your favorite ability so far? Let me know in the comments below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 839 

- Void Icefall -

After strolling through the many halls in the castle, I finally get to my destination - the training room. This is where I have spent most of my life, and it's the perfect thing to distract me from my thoughts. 

I scan the archery area, workout equipment, sparring zone, and finally the knife-throwing area. I head to that direction and start to look through the selection of knives and daggers of every size and shape.

 I find my favorite dagger, a shiny silver thing with a black handle. It looks basic enough, but if it's put up against direct light, there's a scenic picture of the moon and stars. I don't know why I like the moon and stars so much. I guess it's just comforting to me.

Looking for the farthest target, I focus on the bull's-eye and throw. The dagger sings as it cuts through the air and sinks into the target - right on the bull's-eye.

I walk forward to the target and retrieve my dagger, but suddenly I hear something cutting through the air behind me. 

Reflexively, I turn around, moving into a defensive position and bringing my dagger up just in time to reflect a steaming blade, directed to the side of my head. I glance back at the target the blade pierced into, and notice that - wait, is it on fire?

I quickly use my main power, blowing it out with a quick wisp of freezing wind.

 I glare as I search for who the blade came from. As soon as I see the person who threw the blade though, my glare turns into a smirk.

With those diamond blue eyes and fire-red hair, I immediately know it's Leo. With his rare power of Pyrokinesis, he makes and controls fire with just his mind. That explains why the blade was on fire.

"My gosh, Leo. Trying to kill me before the mission?" I call to him.

He laughs loudly. "Nah, just trying to get you warmed up."

I notice he changed his clothes, probably because he got wet from melting my snow earlier. But what doesn't make sense is that since he can control and make fire, he could've easily spared himself the trouble of changing by mentally drying himself off.

'Hmmm...something's off.' I declared mentally.

I keep up the act of being ignorant of whatever is going on and keep playing along.

"Well, let me do the same for you..." I say mischievously.

He looks confused for a second until I switch my dagger to my left hand and raise my right hand in front of me. It starts glowing a cold blue and realization hits his face too late.

 I zap at his feet, and he doesn't dodge it fast enough. His feet are frozen to the ground, ice coating his shoes and the floor around him. 

I nimbly pick up my dagger from the ground and saunter over to him. He runs his hand through his shaggy hair, and I immediately know this person is not Leo. Because there's only one guy I know who does that run-my-hand-through-my-hair-because-I'm-nervous-thing; Jack.

 Jack, as I've said before, is a very powerful and talented illusionist. His ability is amazingly realistic, and he can create shockingly vivid and physical illusions. Though the illusions are physical to touch, they can't do any harm. It can hit surfaces, but it can't physically go through anything, like skin.

Don't let that make you think he's harmless, though. The illusions he can create can make people go insane. Let's just say I'm glad he's on my side.

The ice around his feet is steaming since he's trying to make the illusion of melting the ice. That spreads a smirk across my face.

Once I reach him, I slowly start circling him, keeping the ice encasing his feet constantly freezing. After a full circle around him, we stand face to face, so close I can feel his breath on my face.

"Hmmm.. that was too easy. You know, if you tried hard enough, you could just melt the ice, right?" I murmur as I hold my dagger up against his throat. At this point, we both know he can't melt the ice.

"Gosh Void, you're no fun." He pouts.

I laugh and melt the ice around his feet.

"Yeah, that was a good try. So Jack, are you here to train?" I ask him, emphasizing his name.

"I guess now I am..." He replies with a frown.

I laugh again, and this time he can't help but join me.

I nod in the direction of the archery area, and he smiles. 

He's pretty amazing at archery.

Together, we walk to the archery area and start practicing.

"Hey, good luck on the mission. I wish I could go with you, but..." Jack trails off.

"Thanks. And don't worry, I understand." I murmur softly.

If Jack steps out of line, or any one of us in that matter, it'll be off with our families' heads. The King doesn't like being disobeyed, and he made that clear when he had Violet's dad executed. All because she talked back to him, the King.

Now all she has is her sister and her mom. And she's extra careful now when it comes to anything that has to do with the King.

I feel guilty that I get away with talking back to him when she had to pay with her dad's head. It's not fair at all.

But then again, when has the world ever been fair?