Chapter 9

Chapter 9

At first, the light is blinding and my eyes burn. I slowly walk over to the window, afraid that if I get to close, it will disappear and I will wake up at realize this is was all just some sort of twisted dream and that I will be back home in my comfy bed asleep. I reach out my hand and let the light dance on my fingers, feeling its warmth. The large window creates a harsh shadow, making a border between dark and light. I inch forward more, and step by step, finally seeming  to be able to take it all in. The sunlight ricochets off the cool, light grey walls, surrounding me and warming me from the inside out. My lips from a grin from ear to ear and I can’t help but laugh. I twirl around in a circle and dart over to the window sill. My hands find a place for me to grip onto and I place all my weight on to them. I rest my forehead on the pane of glass and close my eyes gently. It’s incredible really.

I inhale deeply, for effect of course, and sigh as I release my breath. A natural smile tugs at my lips, exposing my teeth as it takes over. I spin around to look at Aaron, and find him staring back at me intently. He chuckles and smirks at my reaction to the natural light. If I could read minds, I bet you he is thinking that I am overly-excited about something so taken for granted, but I can’t help the fact that I grew up in a dark, uneventful city where the only thing to get even slightly excited about is your birthday… that you can’t even celebrate properly.

“We can go outside a bit later if you want. It will be nice out then.” Aaron says.

“Yes! Yes! A million times yes!” I screech, jitters oozing into my voice,

“Ok then. Let’s get some rest for now.” He pauses for a second to take a look around us. When he spots a sleek, white door on the far wall, he gestures to it, “You can take the bedroom. I’ll take the couch”

“Ok. Thanks,” I slide over to the door as Aaron walks to the other side of the modern, white apartment toward another door, which when opened reveals a closet with extra pillows and blankets. He turns around and strolls back over to the couch, dropping a pillow and throw blanket on the cream colored couch with thump. I look at the door leading to the bedroom and turn the silver sleek handle. Inside, the room is pristine. The room is themed to be modern, light,  and extremely sleek, as if that word hasn't been used enough already. The bed seems to float, connected to the wall with no legs to hold it up; the nightstands the same way. The headboard and frame of the bed are both a dark, glossy cedar with sharp corners and edges. The walls are off-white matching the couch Aaron is resting on in the living room. The light lilac sheets on the bed are pressed to perfection with two plump white pillows resting against the headboard and another small dark purple cylinder in the middle, to finish it off. Above the floating nightstands, a lamp, also attached to the wall, stick out. The shades are a dark purple, a peculiar choice of an accent color in my opinion, and the frames themselves are chrome. A hardwood desk sits in the corner of the room against the floor to ceiling windows, and a polished and buffed, shiny white armoire is against the wall nearest me, along with the door. Not a bit of dirt is in sight and the walls are bare. Another door lay open to my left and I take a step forward to peer into it. A bathroom lay inside, with two sinks, a glass shower, separate room for the toilet and door to what must be the closet. There is a small rectangle, dark purple, matching the lampshades, pot with a few pieces of lucky bamboo growing out of it. The sink basin is a hammered silver with a matching facet. The counter is a clear glass, without a single finger print on its surface. On the mirror, the outline of a hidden cabinet is visible. The apartment is exactly opposite of what I would expect a teenage boys own place to look like; extremely clean, organized, purple, and white. I always expected for a boys room to be dark colored and messy, like extremely sloppy. I guess the stereotypes aren’t always true.