Chapter 6

“Wait… your joking?!” I squeal. My hands fly up into the air, almost slapping Aaron. 

“Nope, Derek actually locked me out of my own house for two days when I was ten. He was fifteen and, well you get it, he ‘tortured’ me. Did you do anything to Jacob when you were a kid?” Aaron questions, ruffling his hair with both of his hands. 

“Truth be told, I have never done a single mean thing to Jacob. We were like two peas in a pod,” I state with no emotion and a straight face, sending Aaron and me on the ground into a laugh attack. Aaron’s deep voice towers above the my soft giggle. 

“You are a terrible liar,” blurts Aaron, still laughing a little.

“Oh trust me, I know!  What you don’t know is that my first language is sarcasm, and my second is cussing,” I snicker, grinning at the ceiling.

“Oh gosh, the tiny, innocent looking girl from inside cusses? I think not.”

“Yeah, your rightt, I really am a bad liar.”

“So brown eyes, what do you want to do? I am getting kinda hungry, you?” Aaron says. 

Neither  of us have moved a muscle since we lied down on the carpet, face up, our heads next to each other and our legs opposite directions, a about 3 hours ago. It’s extremely odd to to think that I have become close friends with the boy that kidnapped me in just a few short hours. Overall, Aaron has seemed to be a great guy. He is kind, caring, funny, honest, brave, and smart. He understands me, most of the time, and I have learned that we have some similarities, like we went to the same middle school. He use to live in the Lowers with his family, but his parents were able to transfer him to my school for a better education. He left in the middle of seventh grade, when he was arrested in the middle of class. I am surprised I didn’t hear about him earlier, but then again, I was oblivious and naive, not to mention incredibly innocent back then. 

“First off, I have blue eyes you idiot, and second, yes please!” 

I playfully punch him in the arm. He rolls over, holding himself in a plank kind of stance on his elbows. His face is above mine, and were only inches away. He looks straight into my eyes and stares, probably thinking that they look more black than blue. I look straight back at him, searching for something, though I don’t know what. The color that fills his eyes is electrifying. It is lighter than last time I looked at them, like blue cotton candy with royal blue lining both the inside and the outside. 

“Yep, their blue.” He states, shattering the moment. 

I lift my hand push his face away from mine. He was so close, his nose skimmed mine.

“Flirt,” I giggle at him. He is back in his old position with our right ears near one another. I decide to get up because a knot is forming in my neck from laying on the hard ground for so long. I stretch my limbs and bend my knees, placing my feet flat on the ground, then lift my head and torso to meet my knees. I stand up and look down at Aaron who is still laying on his back below me. 

“Where are you going?” He questions and his eyebrows furrow as he cocks his head to the side. 

“Out,” is all I reply with. “I’m getting kinda bored.”

“Here, let me give you a tour of the place!” He says in a singsong voice. Aaron jumps to his feet and looks down at me. 

“Ready?” Aaron says to me. I smile at him and start to walk. 

At first he doesn’t follow me until I yell,”Hey slow poke. Are you coming or not?”

“Oh yah! Coming ‘Rora,” He jogs up next to me and smiles. He leads me down a few hallways, passing door after door. Each door is shiny grey metal with a silver door knob and number plastered to its front.