Chapter 2

I help Cara clean up after she calms down. She washes her face and brushes her hair. Her face looks different without makeup. Her eyes are brighter, in my opinion, and her eyebrows are less defined. She looks... real, like the way I remember her as a child. She's prettier this way.

"How bad do I look?" Cara says, snickering afterwards. I wait a few seconds then stand on my tiptoes so I can see her eyes clearer. I let a small smile form on my face and stare her straight in her eyes.

"You look beautiful" I wrap my arms around her and lightly squeeze. She returns the favor then speaks as we both let go.

"I should go, I have to go back home and check on everyone." She bites the inside of her lip.

"Ok" I say. Calm and evenly toned, though I know she is lying. She always bites her lip when she lies.

"Thank you, Rora. I don't know what I would do without you."

"Your welcome, Cara,"I give her another hug before she turns around to walk out of my room to where ever she may be going. I wait to hear the door shut and let out a sigh.

Still in my bathroom, I turn to my side, and look at my self in the mirror. I have never really paid attention to what I look like before. I notice now how long my hair is getting. It's black, and wavy, gently brush my shoulders. It's soft and very shiny. I don't do much to it if anything at all, just wash it everyday and occasional trim every few months or so. My eyes are dark blue with a spark of light blue in the center. I have a slim face and prominent cheek bones. I look a little young for sixteen since I don't wear makeup. I have light golden skin and black thin eyebrows. My neck is thin and I see the faint shape of what must be my collarbone. My eyelashes are very long and thick, almost fake looking. I inherited them from my mother, as well as my eye color and skin. My nose is skinny, straight, and rounded off at the tip. I'm small, at least in my eyes I am, five feet three inches. I don't look like anyone I know, well, maybe I do, but I just can't remember who.

I decided to freshen up a bit before dinner because my shirt is stained with tears and I feel gross. I quickly strip my clothes and throw them in my laundry basket next to my sink. I push the shower curtain to the side and reach for the shower nozel that controls the water, turning it to the right when my hand reaches it. The surface is smooth and sleak, like most everything in my house. The cold water springs out from the shower head and hits my hand, making me jump. Once the water heats up I step over the lip of the showers edge, careful not to trip, and step into the water. I feel it run into my hair and on to my scalp, sending a feeling of pleasure through me. It runs down my back, and down to the ceramic floor. I get out about 30 minutes later, feeling refreshed and relieved. I dry off then brush my hair, parting it on the left side of my head. Towel wrapped around me, I walk into my bedroom to my closet, pulling on a low cut green tank top, black, tight jeans, and a lightwash large denim chambray shirt to cover my shoulders. I put on my socks and some tennis shoes, just in case I decided to go anywhere.

I turn my head to the side, toward my desk, and grab a book, not looking to see which one I choose. I walk to my bed, and sit down on it, legs crossed and book in hand. I set the book on my lap and look down reading the title aloud to myself.

"The Updated Daily History of The Society" I say in a whisper to myself. Books now-a-days are able to self write and update themselves daily, making them incredibly intresting and satisfying to read. Today's main article, Outlaw Spotted and Arrested in City. My heart starts to race and I gasp, trying to catch my breath. I read on.

In the South east end of our city, today an outlaw was spotted by residences of the area and arrested immediately. The man, named John Weather, was age 29 and banned from the city at age 24 for criminal mischief and breaking and entering. Witnesses state they saw him lurking in the shadows behind a convenience store on the corner of Mango Dr. and 5th Ave. They also stated that when he stepped into the light he was blonde. They then called the police at 3:34 pm and the cars showed up at 3:40 pm. By that time many residences had tackled the outlaw and pinned him to the ground, not allowing him to escape. No one was seriously injured in the fight to capture John, but many were kicked or punched.

Warning: Watch your surroundings closely. There could be more hiding throughout the city. Please be very careful.

My heart is racing. I feel the my face get hot with fear and anger and rage and a ton of emotions I don't understand. There's a ringing in my ears that I know is just my head. I grab my book and hurl it with all the force I can manage from my weak arms toward the ground. Without thinking, I snatch the pillow nearest to me, push it to my face, and scream. My scream soon turns into a sob. A loud, horrid sob that I can't control. After a while, I deeply inhale and exhale to calm myself down. I let my tears dry and lie face down on my bed.

"In.." I say muffled by the pillow, then count to ten, holding my breath.

1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

"and out" I breathe out.

"In"

"Out"

"In"

"Out"

And I was asleep.