Chapter 24: A Shallow Alliance

Start from the beginning

All of them gasped in surprise as they reached their destination when Ana stopped... In front of them was the bloodied mess Asagiri's body turn into. They all stood beside his body.

"A... ARE YOU ALRIGHT, GEN...?!" Chrome asked.

"OF COURSE HE'S NOT! JUST LOOK AT HIM!!" Ana pointed out angrily, her anger not at Asagiri, but at the one who did this. William was becoming restless from his position due to Ana's distress. Lalaine looked worriedly at her friend, it's not advicable for her to calm Ana right now. Even Ana herself said so, that if she's in a state like this, don't try to calm her.

Lalaine was torn into what she needed to do now. Wait- There's a dead body in front of her!!

"He's gone... Just look at him, he must have died instantly. Who would have done this..." Kohaku exclaimed, trailing at the end.

"NO, WAIT!" Senku called out, crouching down beside Gen's body and pulling out the spear along with something, "It's a bag full of blood... It protected him."

Suika checked Gen's body and found some more, "He's got them tucked away all over his body!"

"THESE ARE CRAZY!!" Chrome exclaimed in amazement, holding out one of the bags, "From the very moment he arrived in the village, he was prepared for the worst. And he went all-out in protecting himself with these...!"

"To think that he actually thought out this far... He's really prepared for it all, huh..." Lalaine muttered, seeing all the bags of 'blood'.

"Kukuku, not bad at all. A magician to the very core... Aren't you...!!

They carried his body, Senku and Chrome struggling a bit when it came to carrying Gen's body up the ladder and the storehouse.

It was such a good thing that Chrome were collecting all kinds of herbs he could in the storehouse, Ana didn't even had second thoughts of using them right away. If you're thinking that she finally calmed down by now, you're very wrong. It got worse all throughout her job of taking care of Asagiri.

She's quiet, yes, but the veins on her forehead and hands told Lalaine otherwise.

"DAMN IT!! WE'LL DEFINITELY CATCH WHOEVER DID THIS!!" Chrome announced, clenching his fist.

"Before we go searching for the culprit, we've got a much more important problem to deal with." Kohaku interrupted Chorme, hugging her knees to closer to her. Gen stared silently at the ceiling, "In his current condition, we've no idea when he'll be able to walk again. But if Gen doesn't return to Tsukasa, then he'll believe Gen was killed by Senku."

While she was distracted by her thoughts, the blonde girl didn't noticed Ana about to poker her on her back to get her attention...

... Only when she felt like someone just stabbed her with an incredibly sharp sword with poision coating it, Kohaku jumped to her feet in fear and got her knives out and ready to defend herself from the presence, her eyes widening as a cold sweat ran down her face. The presence was-

Ana stared at her in confusion, not even a trace of something evil on her face or in her eyes. Just pure confusion by the blonde's action, "Kohaku-chan, why are you in a stance? Are you still alert from what happened to Asagir-san? I suppose that's obvious. I was just about to tell you that it's okay for you to go get some rest in the village. We can handle this from now." Ana informed, setting William down on the floor.

Kohaku agreed, knowing that this wasn't one of her fields of expertise. After saying goodbye and now walking back to the village with Chrome and Suika, Kohaku couldn't help but feel a shiver ran down her spine.