Chapter Seventeen

DETECTIVE JACK PARNELL, NORTH YORKSHIRE POLICE HQ UK, 1986, 10.55

The door opened to the police interview room. Both policemen stared at the tape sat on the table in a sealed plastic evidence bag. One walked toward the table and took the last drag of his cigarette. He looked at the smoking filter and sniffed, then stubbed it out in an ashtray in the table's centre. He sat down and looked up to the other officer who stood perfectly still.

'Come on Gary,' he said, 'we have to make sure it's real. If it gets too gruesome I can always turn it off.'

Gary walked to the chair opposite and sat down, all the while eyeing the tape in the bag.

'Jack,' he said, 'I didn't join the squad to fanny out at the first hurdle, just play the damn tape.'

Jack nodded, his grim face gave Gary the impression this was not going to be easy to listen to. Pressing the record button, Jack started. 'This is detective inspector Jack Parnell and with me is Gary Auckland, Gary if you would, state you are here for the tape please.' Jack nodded toward the tape recorder.

'This is D.I. Auckland, as previously stated.'

Jack sat back in his chair, an ominous silence filled the room. 'Okay, I am opening the bag, which has the tape inside.' Jack pulled the tape out and put it in another tape player adjacent to the first.

'Just as a footnote for anyone listening to this, the 'Ankle Biter' always starts the tape off with his poem, this way we know it is authentic.'

Jack nodded to his partner, whose finger hovered over the play button.

Gary closed his eyes as he pressed down.

A deep slow voice started the poem.

Jack leant over and whispered. 'He uses a contraption to change his voice.'

Gary nodded.

The ankle biter

Comes at night

Its eyes are black

Its skin is white

It does not want

To hear you speak

When in your room

It comes to peek

So firmly close

Your mouth I say

Or it will steal

Your tongue away

And furthermore

Upon your feet

It likes to gnaw

It likes to eat

So keep your boots

Bound good and tight

Before you go

To sleep at night

It comes for you

It comes for me

It comes for those

Who cannot flee

It comes for both

The old and young

So guard your feet

And hold your tongue.

Jack put his head in his hands. 'Fuck! It's real.'

The voice on the tape started again. 'Jack? Oh, I do hope you are there Jack, I do love our chats.'