Chapter Thirty Eight

'Someone selfless,' John said, now pacing with a smile. 'Someone who doesn't mind the sight of blood. Someone with...' John peeked at Death and hid a half smile. 'Someone with obsessive tendencies and a great mind for numbers.'

Death's eyes widened. 'You aren't thinking...?' A smile spread onto his face, and as it did sadness filled John. Death, with all his mucking about, his morbid sense of humour, his fucking with John. All that aside, John had come to--he wouldn't admit it out loud--but, he kind of liked the guy.

And now what? Would Samantha kill Death if John asked her to? Would she put herself in Death's position? John got the strange sense that it had always been in her to take on a project this large, and he knew her heart was good. She would not bend to the dark side. The only question was whether a human could take the place of an angel.

Death got to his feet, clapped his hands together. 'Righty ho, Johnny boy, start up time again so we can go get her.'

The sword still poked at the ground. 'Death, I have one more question. Can she do it? Can a human take your place?'

Death laughed, the prick, then sobered and tugged at his robe. 'I was human once, a long time ago. I--I was an anomaly like you. Well, not exactly like you.' He waved a hand at John as if that was some proof of something. 'I mean I was different. The only one willing to brave the wild night beyond the caves to see the stars, the first to make a fire, the only one unafraid facing the Hurgkig. That was me.' He patted his chest proudly, then his shoulders sagged. 'I have lived so many lifetimes John. I am tired. Weary to my bones of the dance. I want it to end. Please.'

He didn't need to consider it. He could not offer Samantha in Belial's place, but he could ask her and hope. 'I can't promise she will accept,' John said, 'but let's get rid of this fucker then we can ask her together.' John stretched his hand out to Death who looked at it for a few moments, then grabbed it.

'Okay John Finnie, born 22-07-1987. I will accept that offer, even though it might mean centuries more of this torture if she says no. I will accept because though you don't know it yet, we are the closest friends in the future, and, well, you've convinced me. For now.'

John smiled. 'I look forward to our friendship. So' --he patted Death's shoulder-- 'I know why you sided with this monstrosity, but I don't know what you've given him in return. It's time to fess up my friend, what did you give this Belial in return for your death?'

There was no hint of a smile when he looked straight into John's eyes. 'The only thing I have John; I gave him power over me. I gave him power over Death itself.'

John took a step back. 'So you're saying he can't die?'

Death nodded. 'Unless I can get close enough to break my promise.'

'How close do you need to get?' John asked, fire in his belly.

Death leaned in and kissed him on the forehead. 'That close John, I need to be that close. And I'm going to guess he'll know what we're up to when he sees me.'

John nodded, gripped Death's shoulder, and Blinked back to the fight. 'We'll get you there my friend. If it's the last thing I ever do,' he shouted over the noise.

Death grinned. 'It may well be John Finnie, but do not worry. I will help you on your way.' And with that the pair ran towards Belial.

Screams and the smell of blood filled the air. On more than one occasion a catsuit clad Semila sprung over them. Her sword gleamed, followed by screams and gurgles of dying demons. The smoke seemed thicker the closer they got to the great demon, the one Death called Belial. They could hear Gabriel roar, the sound of gunfire, rocks bounding. Black orbs whooshed past them, Death hit the floor in a crater made by a fallen demon, looking most afraid.

John looked at Death. 'What the hell are those things?' He spat out a gob full of dust.

Death swept his hands around. 'You have afore you, all manners of future John Finnie. You do not always choose the path of light...' Death did not meet his eyes.

John grabbed Death by the shoulder. 'You mean I'm evil?'

Scarred John appeared above them and let loose a burst of blue glowing pulse rounds at an approaching demon. He looked down at Death and John and grinned. 'We aint beating this bastard cowering in a mud hole are we boys? On your feet fellas, let's move out!'

Semila landed cat-like next to him and looked at the pair. She gave a wink. 'Chop fucking chop boys,' she said and sprung off into the dust once again.

Death shook his head. 'No John, not evil. You are dark in that future, your powers have become unfathomable. Come John we need to get close to Belial.' He grabbed John's arm and guided him through the rubble.

Dust cleared and John and Dark John made eye contact, Dark John smiled. Before the pair were aware, Dark John was with them, cutting a swath before them with his lethal orbs. Cars, demons, and people turned to ash before him as he pushed further on.

Demons jumped out from all angles but Dark John cut them down, his hands were a blur as the orbs grew from black to a fire-red. Death held John back. 'This is not a path you want to walk down John Finnie. Do not side with this man.' Death watched the powerful man standing alone in the road, everything disintegrating in his path.

Belial roared again as John looked on. Gabriel, three Semilas, Twin Sword John and John Two hacked and slashed at its legs and arms. It smashed down a fist in furious anger throwing cars and debris in all directions, stunning all its assailants.

The demon looked up to the sky and roared again. 'Bashisha-took-amasail-dethud!' A flaming sword as big as it appeared in its hand. The other hand held a flaming ball of hell's fire.

Cat-suited Sem landed next to them. 'Well this changes the odds in his favour; follow me. I will lead you forward.' Death and John started to follow but a red orb caught her in the shoulder, thrusting her to the floor.

Dark John appeared next to them. 'This is not the right decision John. Come with me, I will get you where you need to be.'

John looked over to the main fight just in time to see Twin Sword John cleaved in half by the giant sword. 'No!' he screamed, the sound swallowed by the noise around him. Bionic John was crawling away, his robotic arm dragging him from the fight. A Sem lay dead or unconscious on the floor--they were losing and losing quick.

Another Semila rose to her feet nearby. 'Fuck off John, we don't need you.' She rubbed at her shoulder and glared at Dark John.

Dark John shook his head. 'I think not little angel, you all need me, my power exceeds all yours put together.'

Sem drew her sword and walked towards the Dark John. She only took two steps before she was blasted from her feet and hurled out of sight. Dark John turned to the pair and bowed. 'I could have killed her John, but I chose not to. Do not judge me until you have walked in my shoes and have had to make the decisions I have had to make. Now follow me if you want to get close to the beast.'

Death grabbed John's arm again. 'I implore you John, do not walk down this path.'

'No one saves us but ourselves,' Dark John said. 'No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path Death, you of all people must know this.'

Death gave him a most fowl look but bowed away.

'Take my hand John, together we will beat this beast. All you have to do is take my hand.' Dark John stretched out his hand, wisps of black hair danced around his eyes.

The world seemed to slow down, John Two was being beaten back by a hoard of demons. Gabriel looked ragged and tired, a sword flashed in his hands as he helped John Two. Bionic John lay facing the fight, throwing anything his robotic arm could get a hold of. At least two Semilas were dead, other Sems were there but they looked tired and hurt. John looked back to the outstretched hand and reached for it.

Dark John smiled, then looked to his side. Another John appeared, disappeared. Reappeared at the other side, disappeared, then appeared behind John.

'No!' Dark John screamed. But John was gone.

© Steve Ford and Joy Cronjé 2018