Chapter Forty Two

SEMILA LEANG

The barrier was down and Sem sprinted. Her angel-heart pumped and her muscles obeyed every command she gave. The ladder was skipped as she jumped clear up to the next level of the steel works. A large blob of metal steamed on the floor, flickers of flame erupted here and there. Above the metal a large container hung, swaying calm and gentle. Only the siren could be heard now and Sem looked around frantic, then locked eyes on a little girl.

Sem bound over towards her but skidded to a halt when she saw who lay on the floor. The little girl hadn't noticed her. She was too busy trying to wake up the man on the floor.

'Mister,' she said, 'I want to go home mister. I want to go home to my....' sniff. She shook him again. 'Mister, I want to go home now. I want to see my mom.' Abigail shook John's shoulders again. 'Mister, you promised and promises can't be broken.' The little girl started crying into John's neck.

'You promised mister.'

Sem walked up behind the girl and placed her hands on the small girl's shoulder. 'Don't worry little one, you are safe with him.' She knelt down beside John, placed one hand on his heart and the other on his face, and prayed. When she was finished, she stood and held Abigail's hand.

John's eyes flickered open, he looked at Sem, then at Abigail.

'I have dreamed of you most of my life Abigail Brown. He looked at Sem. 'I have dreamed of you too Sem,' he said with a smile. He grimaced as he sat up, the beatings to his face were going down thanks to Sem, but they still hurt.

He looked at the girl again. 'Time to get you home, I bet your mommy is worried sick.' She nodded with a tear streaked face, then smiled. It lit up John's soul.

Together all three walked out of the steel works, past all the work men assembled outside. A ragtag woman, a little girl, and a man dressed in strange clothes. It was a talking point for some time.

JOHN FINNIE

'What year is this? John asked as they made their way down the lamp-lit street.

Sem smiled. 'I have not the slightest clue John.'

'It's just I-' he started.

'Don't feel any different?' Sem finished for him.

'Yeah, I thought something might change but it hasn't. Have I changed time Sem? Have I saved them all?'

Sem raised an eyebrow and John looked down in mock shame. 'Okay Sem, did we save them all?'

'I think we have John, I really do.'

'It's just I expected something more.'

'More?' Sem cocked her head.

John shrugged. 'Yeah, more. Like fireworks or something.'

Sem punched him on the shoulder. 'We don't do this for the thanks John, we do it because it's the right thing to do. We are guardians you and I. We're a team.'

John blushed. 'I suppose, but after everything we have done...?'

Sem nodded. 'People have given more than us John, we're still alive.'

A small voice below them caught their attention. 'This is my house,' Abigail said, pointing.

John opened the gate and watched as Abigail skipped down the path, she opened the door, turned and waved, then ran inside. John had enough time to hear the cries of joy before he was sucked into a vortex of swirling colours.

Both John and Sem were unceremoniously dumped on a path near an unfamiliar road. It was raining and night time. John looked around and shook his head.