Chapter Seven

(17y) MARCH 2015, 12.50

A few months in people were taking notice. One person especially took notice of John and Marty's ascent to the great realm of "A"s. They both sat outside the Headmaster's office, but neither was nervous. Marty had foreseen it. 'Questions are going to be asked, mate,' he'd said as they sat in their regular spot against the gym wall.

'Well,' said John, 'Let them ask. They can't prove jack shit, you know that.'

Marty nodded. 'Yeah, I know. Just warning you is all mate.'

The Headmaster's door opened, and Acko the Bastard walked out. He eyed the two boys with sheer vehemence, walking towards them. 'Move your feet Finnie.'

Marty automatically moved. John, however, stayed in a half sat, half laid position in the chair.

'Lift yours up, Sir.' John thought he spotted steam coming from Acko's ears where he stood fuming. With a pretend yawn and exaggerated arm movement, John moved out of the way. Acko stomped further and John licked his finger, making an imaginary chalk mark. 'One null to Finnie.'

Marty smiled and shook his head.

The Headmaster popped his head around the door. 'Okay you two, in you come.' For a moment they made eye contact, each of them more nervous than they cared to admit. Their school shoes echoed in the hallway while they walked to the Head's office.

'Take a seat please,' the Head said, shuffling some papers on his desk. He took a deep breath. 'Right. Hmm...Okay. Right. I should be here congratulating you two. Unfortunately I have heard rumours that you two are cheating.' With his hands on the desk, he met each of their eyes in turn. 'Well, what do you have to say for yourselves?'

Marty cleared his throat. 'It's bollocks.'

The Head scowled. 'I think what Martin is trying to say,' John said, 'is it's horrid that someone would rubbish us like that, Sir. We have been at my house revising like mad to pass these mock exams. All we want is to pass with good marks. It's good for us and the school. I know we' --he pointed to himself and Marty-- 'have messed around in the past...' He put his head down. 'Well, me more than Marty, but now we have got our shi-' John's mouth curled up at the edges and Marty pinched his lips together. '-Act together, we are getting accused of cheating. But we aren't cheating, Sir.' Folding his arms, he sat back into his chair. 'Like Martin said, it's rubbish.'

'Okay, okay.' The Headmaster smiled, putting his hands up as if to diffuse the situation. 'Right, you have a chance to prove you aren't cheating. Chemistry theory is at twelve o'clock this afternoon, and you, Finnie, have been getting D's all year. Mr Atkinson will be invigilating, and you know he will be all over you two boys from the start. Out you go.'

Oh no, not Acko the Bastard. The Head shuffled his paperwork again and looked down at a letter. Both boys stood up and left the office, knocking elbows as they popped through the door together.

Marty walked backwards down the corridor, facing John. 'What now? Any answer papers and we are fucked, and I mean royally fucked.'

'Not a problem my friend.' A conniving sneer lit John's face. 'We aint done yet mate.' Was anyone watching them? John looked around to be sure. 'Here,' he said, 'take a photo now behind us and walk away. Don't look back, we'll just keep walking. Once we are around the corner, give me your phone.'

'Fucking crazy shit all of this, mate. But it worked before, so I guess...' The phone dangled from Marty's right hand and John grabbed it, searching for the camera app. 'I hope you know what you're doing. I haven't revised jack shit since we started with this photo cheating.'