04 - Hard on the Outside, Soft in the Inside

Start from the beginning

"Huh?"

The maids began to hustle and bustle around the room and they finally brought my nightgown to me.
"Uhm...what is that?" I said, pointing my finger coyly at the piece of cloth they held in front of me.

"You're nightgown, Miss!" They chirped in sync.

"W-what!? No way! It's far too provocative!" I flushed.
"The Emperor said he can't wait to see you in it~" Levy sung.

I spun round to Levy who was grinning.
"S-stop teasing me, already! This dress is enough as it is!"

The dress they held in their hand was decorated in lace and was open near the chest area. The fabric on the arms created a sleeve-like look, which made it appear even more alluring.

"Now, now, miss. No point staring at it if you don't try it on~!" Levy sang, as she clasped her hands together in joy.

"What in the world is this? I'm not trying to seduce him!" I flushed.

"Oh, but you are [his wife]" one of the maids smirked, as she wiggled her eyebrows.

That's true, but...

"You maids won't kill me one of these days..." I sighed heavily, reluctantly giving in.

A few moments later, I was in front of the mirror, wearing the nightgown. Levy and the other maids began to rub scented oil on my arms and legs vigorously, before they moved on, and began to put tiny flowers and lace in my braid.

"I-Isn't this all a bit too....extra...?" I squeaked, about to touch the end of my braid.

"No!" They all retorted, as a maid held my hand gently away from my braid. "It's My Lady's first night with the Emperor, therefore, everything has to be perfect!"

They continued to work. I sweat dropped.
A maid was about to spray some perfume on my skin before Levy caught the maids hand and screamed. I jolted in my seat.

"The Empress doesn't need perfume! It's scent is too overwhelming! The Emperor would prefer Miss' natural smell!"

"My gosh...!" I sighed, already fed up.

"Ok, we're done!" They all sang in one accord.

"Thank you, my maids," I stood up in front of the mirror. "I...really do look beautiful."

Levy exhaled, then smiled and looked at me softly. "You only just noticed?" I smiled back at her.

"Now!" I turned around swiftly to face the maids. "I need one maid to escort me to the Emperor's chambers."

"Oh, please pick me, My Lady!"
"No, pick me please!"
"Hah? Of course My Lady's going to pick me!
A brawl began among the maids and I sighed to myself.

It was then, that Levy walked up to me calmly.
"Miss, I shall escort you to the Emperor's chambers."

The maids paused and looked at her in disbelief.
"Okay," I smiled.

The other maids sulked as Levy and I began to walk away. In the hallways, I chuckled as we walked silently down the hallways.

"What's wrong, My Lady?" Levy asked.

"Oh, nothing really. Just make sure to tell the other maids that I will increase their salary by 300 Lune," I smiled.

"Oh...!" Levy looked at me with bright eyes. "Thank you so much, My Lady!"

"It's nothing~"

We finally approached the Emperor's room.

"Well..." Levy breathed in.
"Well..." I inhaled.