07 - Trouble Brewing

The air in the grand chamber of the palace was tense as Empress Lucy approached her husband, Emperor Natsu, with a request that weighed heavily on her mind. They stood facing each other, a palpable distance separating them despite their physical proximity.

"Your Majesty," Lucy began, her voice tentative yet resolute, "I would like to request your permission to host a quarterly ball."

The Emperor's gaze remained fixed on the scroll he held in his hand, his expression unreadable. "And what, pray tell, is the purpose of this ball?"

Lucy swallowed back her apprehension, summoning her courage as she met his steely gaze. "I wish to discuss information with the individuals from the court. It's an opportunity to gather feedback and suggestions to ensure the event is a success."

Natsu's lips formed a thin line as he considered her request, his demeanor remaining aloof. "I fail to see why such discussions cannot be conducted through official channels. What purpose does a ball serve?"

Lucy hesitated, acutely aware of the strained dynamics between them. Despite their shared responsibilities as rulers of the realm, their relationship had grown increasingly distant in recent months, plagued by unspoken grievances and unresolved conflicts.

"It's... it's about fostering connections, Natsu," Lucy explained, her voice tinged with frustration. "These gatherings provide an opportunity for networking and building alliances that are crucial for the stability of the empire. Not only that, we need to hold a quarterly ball. We haven't held one in a while; our people might think we have a suppliance issue or their Emperor has abandoned them!"

Natsu's gaze softened imperceptibly at her words, a flicker of understanding in his eyes. Yet, his expression remained guarded, his walls firmly in place. "Very well, Empress. You may proceed with the ball. But remember, it is your responsibility to ensure that it does not disrupt the affairs of the court."

Lucy nodded, grateful for his reluctant acquiescence, though a pang of disappointment lingered in her heart. She had hoped for a more supportive response from her husband, a sign that perhaps their fractured relationship could be repaired like it was a couple months back.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Lucy murmured, her voice barely above a whisper.

Without another word, Natsu turned away, his attention returning to the scroll in his hand. Lucy watched him go, her heart heavy with a sense of longing for the connection they once shared.

As she sent invitations for the upcoming ball, Lucy couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at her insides. Despite her best efforts to maintain a facade of composure, the rift between her and Natsu seemed to widen with each passing day, threatening to engulf them in its shadow.

***

The palace was abuzz with anticipation as preparations for the ball were in full swing. Empress Lucy, adorned in her flowing gown of ivory silk, oversaw the arrangements with a graceful air, her excitement evident in the sparkle of her eyes.

"Ah, Juvia! Thank you for coming. You look absolutely stunning," Lucy exclaimed with a small smile.

Juvia Fullbuster, a close friend of the Empress and renowned for her impeccable taste, smiled brightly. "It's wonderful to see you again, Empress? How are you faring?"