Chapter 30- Change

Y/N p.o.v.

"I got m-my L!" Bill exclaimed as he took a seat at the lunch table.
"Sick, now you can drive us around n' shit." Richie said with a smile, his arm around Eddie.

Bill has been surprisingly chipper since his birthday. In all honesty, it was a bit of a train wreck. First he was missing brother, then Bowers came at him with a knife. Not to mention he got away with it. But I think he really liked his present, I thought he would.

"Do you guys want to go somewhere after school? The quarry or something?" Stan suggested while he shrugged his shoulders.
"The water would be fucking freezing, dumb ass!" Eddie said with a laugh.
"I know that, I'm not an idiot like your boy toy. I thought we could walk around. We could bird watch too." He smiled, Stan loves birds.
"We could have a picnic!" Bev said as she clasped her hands together.
"Oh, could we? Please?" I begged the group as I put my hand on Bev's shoulder.
"I'm down." Bill said as he looked in his paper bag and grabbed a sandwich.
"Yeah, why not. I'll give Mikey a call after school. When are we going, chaps?" Richie asked while playing with Eddie's hand.
"Uh, I dunno, 3:30-ish sound good?" Ben shrugged. Everyone agreed and nodded as they ate, snacking off each other's lunches.

-

I walked towards the losers with Bill. Beverly was spreading a blue sheet on the ground while everyone placed snacks on it. There were a couple bags of chips, Eddie brought tiny sandwiches and Stan brought an assortment of fruit, Bill and I brought chocolate chip muffins.
"The lovebirds are here!" Mike announced.
"Finally we can eat, I'm fuckin' starving!" Bev said as she plopped down on the blanket and opened a bag of potato chips. Everybody followed her actions and gathered on the blanket.

Richie rested his head in Eddie's lap as he scarfed down a muffin.
"You're getting crumbs all over me, asshole!" Eddie whined as he tried to brush the supposed crumbs off of him without disturbing his boyfriend. Stan winced as Eddie went on about the crumbs and how Richie should 'really chew with his mouth closed 'cause it's gross' and that he 'should've brought hand sanitizer since it's so dirty'.
"What if I accidentally touch shit and then touch my food and eat-"
"Eddie!" Stan yelled over the germaphobe. "What was that album you were telling me I should listen to? Billy Joel, she's got..."
"She's Got a Way, you mean? Oh yeah, you have to listen to it. It's amazing. She's Always a Woman, oh don't even get me started on that one,"

-

We all chatted for what seemed like forever. It was like our own little world, all the problems in the real world faded away, at least for a little while. Stan let me use his binoculars when he spotted a bird, I could see every feather. Ben let Beverly play with his hair, braiding it and putting it up in wacky styles using the elastics around her wrist. Bill even taught me how to skip a rock since the water wasn't frozen anymore. With the snow slowly melting and the days progressively getting longer, you couldn't help but feel hopeful. Not for a particular reason, but you feel hopeful that it'll get better. Whatever it is that you want to be better.

After everyone packed up and headed their separate ways, Bill and I decided to go to our tree. It had been awhile, I missed it. Even if it was just a tree, it meant something. Something special.

"Haven't been here in a l-long time, have we?" Bill said with a snicker as he sat under the tree.
"Yeah. It's been too long." I agree as I snuggled against Bill. The wind was starting to pick up, causing the tall grass to sway back and forth around us. The clouds covered the sun which made them look as if they were glowing.

"Don't you wish it could be like this forever?" I sighed, looking up at Bill as my head rested on his shoulder.
"It would be nice." I smiled, his eyes following the clouds gradually moving through the sky.
"It just sucks, you know? That things have to change." I said as I grabbed his hand, inspecting every line and crease.
"What do you m-mean?" He asked, looking at our hands.
"I don't want to grow up, I don't want the losers to grow apart, I don't want us to grow apart." I admitted. I always felt as if me and Bill were too good to last.
"We're not going to grow ap-apart, none of us are." He said in a concerned tone of voice.
"But how do you know that? It's not everyday that people end up with their high school sweethearts." I said with a pouted lip.
"Well, I g-guess I can't guarantee anything, but it would be pretty hard for you to scare me away." He said as his laugh filled the air around us, making me giggle a little.
"I'll tell you what, if we don't last- which I doubt- , I p-promise we'll stay in touch. We c-could have lunch once a month or something. Deal?" He said with a smile.
"Deal. You're too cute, being all optimistic." I said as I pinched his cheek. He smiled before tickling my sides, making me snort and laugh till it hurt. My cheeks were sore from smiling so much.

"S-S-Stop! P-Please!" I begged through laughs.
"Alright, I'll let you go this time. But if you p-pinch my cheek one more time I'll-"
"I won't! I won't, I swear!" I promised him as a smile remained on my face. And it wasn't going to budge. I kissed him on the cheek, then again on the lips, until Bill put his arms around me and connected our lips again.

If I could stop time and just live in one moment, this would be it. The way held me, the feeling he gave me, the way he kissed me so gently as if I was a delicate porcelain doll. I pulled away, simply looking into his eyes that looked so closely to sea foam to capture this moment. His lips curved into a smile as his eyes danced from mine to my lips. I ran my fingers through this silky hair then ran them along his jaw line and under his chin. I leaned my forehead against his and traced my hand down his arm then interlocked our fingers. There were only two words in my head.
Two words I could only think of, like they were the only ones I knew.
"Never change."

1141 words

An Author's Note:

First off, this isn't proof read so just point out grammar/spelling mistakes and I'll fix them. And I'm so sorry I take so long to update. I just need to be in the mood to write or else I feel so uninspired. But I'm going to try and update more since schools out for a while with corona virus and all. Speaking of which, wAsH YOuR haNdS and practice sOCiaL DisTanCIng!!

happy reading (and stay inside I know it's boring but it's for the best) <33