Chapter 19- The Barn

Y/N p.o.v.

I woke up with the sun shining through my curtains and onto my face, reflecting on my tired eyes. I stretched, throwing my arms in the air and yawning. It had been almost a week since that awful dinner. Billy told me multiple times that his mom was sorry but to be honest, I didn't buy it.

I shrugged it off like I always do when it comes to Mrs. Denbrough. I felt so bad for Bill, though. She's overprotective, but at least she's not Eddie's mom.

I got out of my bed and walked into the bathroom. I grabbed my toothbrush and put my mint toothpaste on the bristles.
As I brushed my teeth I walked down the hall and peaked through the door of my parent's room.

As usual, my mother was asleep with a bottle of wine on her bedside table. I didn't blame her, with dad gone it's been hard. She hasn't told me anything about what they were going to do, like getting divorced or even when I could see him again.
I missed him, even if he did hit me.

I went back into the bathroom and rinsed out my mouth. I spent the next half hour or so getting ready for the day. All the losers were going to Mike's barn today, which I was so excited for! I'd never seen it before but I always wanted to.

It was my dream to live on a big farm with wide open fields full of crops and animals in that classic red and white barn. I wanted to wear something that I wouldn't mind getting dirty, so I picked out a simple knit black sweater and overalls.

Before leaving the house I put on my grey beanie and a matching scarf and gloves. I hopped on my bike and rode to Billy's house so we could ride together.

-

My smile dropped when I saw Mrs. Denbrough behind Bill with her hands on his shoulders. I could tell Bill was nervous, his smile was painfully fake.
He shrugged her hands off his shoulders and walked over to me while I continued the awkward eye contact between Bill's mother and I.
"Y/n..." She began.
"I, I'm terribly sorry about how the dinner went. Truly I am." She gave a small sympathetic smile. I could tell she was sincere.
"It's alright, Mrs. Denbrough. I'm sorry too. Maybe we should try it again sometime."
I smiled, but it wasn't fake.

-

"How do you do it?" Bill asked as we rode our bikes down the dirt road to Mike's barn.
"What do you mean, love?" I questioned.
"I m-mean, how do you, f-fix things so easily?
Like, remember the party incident? You fixed it so q-quickly." I looked at Bill and giggled softly.

"I do it for you, Billy. I guess I just can't stand the person I love being sad."
He looked into my eyes and smiled too.

Bill's p.o.v.

Y/n and I made it to the barn last. We walked into a barn that was nearly empty, just bails of hay, tools and supplies.
In the middle of the barn all the losers were sitting in a circle on a big blanket and card decks and board games were piled in the middle.

We were showered with waves and 'hi's as y/n and I sat down. I waved back as my eyes wandered around the barn. I hadn't been to Mike's barn, believe it or not. I didn't think a lot of the losers had been here more than once.

I admired the string of lights hanging from the ceiling and the way the dark red paint had chipped and peeled over the years.

-

"Bill, hey, big Bill!"
Richie's hand waved in front of my face as he tried to get my attention until I swatted it away.

"Listen guys," Richie said as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.
"Me and Eds have to tell you something," y/n and I looked at each other then back at Rich.

"Richie and I are together, we have been for the past month or so." Eddie announced whilst grabbing his boyfriend's hand.

Everyone cheered and congratulated the couple.
"I called it!" Mike shouted.

Everyone laughed for a bit until Bev starting taking.
"That's so great! Really guys, I'm so proud of you." She spoke honestly and Eddie nodded with a smile followed by the rest of the losers, showing their acceptance of the couple.

-

"So, that dumb winter dance, what's it called?" Beverly asked.
"The Snowball." Eddie answered.
"Yeah, the Snowball, who's all going?"

I side eyed y/n to see if she was looking at me, and of course, she was.
Oh god.
Should I ask her now? Or should I make it special? Or-
"We're going! No questions, Tozier." Eddie cut off my thoughts and elbowed Richie's side. "Are you guys, coming out? What about Bowers-"
"We're going as friends." Eddie cut off Stan too, and gave Richie a sad smile as he grabbed his hand.
"It's alright, Spaghetti. We can make out in the bathroom!"
"Beep beep!" Eddie squealed as Richie tickled him.

I turned my head to look at y/n who was looking at the couple across from us. She was smiling, but her eyes told a different story. She was disappointed because I hadn't asked her to go to the dance yet. I can always tell what y/n is thinking when I look into her eyes.

"Y/n," I took her hand which made her look at me.
"D-Do, do you want to go to the S-Snowball with me?" She smiled so big and wrapped her arms around me.
"Of course, Billy." She kissed my cheek, still smiling and hugging me. I smiled back as my cheeks heated up and turned a bright red in colour.

Y/N p.o.v.

We played games for about an hour and a bit then went outside. I saw Eddie building a snowman as the others threw snowballs or made snow angels. I walked over to him and helped him roll the rather impressive ball of snow, It was about half the size of him.

"Hey, Eddie," I smirked.
"Hi Y/n. What's up?" He continued rolling the base of the snowman.
"Nothing much. I guess I wanted to talk to you, we've never really talked, just us, you know?" I ruffled his hair.
"Yeah, I know. So, are you excited for the Snowball or what!" His face lit up as he smiled, exposing his pearly white teeth.
"Absolutely! I don't know what I'm going to wear yet, though. Maybe we could pick out our outfits together with Bev?" I shrugged and Eddie nodded in agreement.

"What about you? You seem excited." I asked as I started to make the snowman's head.
"I've been waiting for this dance since 6th grade! I wouldn't miss it for the world. That's why I have to sneak out that night." I looked at him in confusion, he must've noticed because he began to explain.
"Well, my mom is, she's a bit overprotective. If she found out I wanted to go to a party, where the punch could possibly be spiked and kids are making out and spreading germs and sickness, she'd have a heart attack." He laughed which caused me to giggle.

-

"Eddie?"
"Yeah, y/n?" Eddie answered as he stuck a carrot into the snowman's head.
"Why is your mother so paranoid?" I put my hand on his shoulder.
"Oh." He said as he grew stiff.
"You don't have to answer-"
"it's okay." He assured me.
"Well, when I was 5, my dad got cancer. He, um, died a couple years later." He twiddled his fingers.
"I'm so sorry, Eddie. Really, I am." I apologized as I pulled him into a hug.
"It's okay, it's not your fault." He smiled as he wiped a tear.

"Hey, Eds!" Richie called.
"Get over here, I need help! I'm getting destroyed out here-" Right before Richie finished his sentence a snowball hit him in the face and knocked off his glasses. Eddie laughed and ran towards his partner to help him.
Then I saw Bill hiding behind a tree with a bunch of snowballs at his feet. He saw me and waved me over so I ran behind the tree with him.

-

"What's the plan?" I asked, smiling.

"W-Well, I go over here," he stood in front of me, my back facing the tree.
"Then you g-go over there," he put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me against the bark of the trunk.
"And I do this." He whispered before connecting our lips in a sweet kiss.

His lips were cold and chapped against mine, and his touch sent shivers through my body.

He pulled away slowly and I opened my eyes right in time to see a snowball hit the back of Bill's head. Bill turned around and I peeked over his shoulder to see mike with a huge, cheeky smile on his face.

"Get a room you two!"

1527 words