Me and Miranda didn't really have much in common she grew up in a two parent household as a only child. My grandma raised me till I was 8 then she got sick so my aunt took me in.

"I made Eggplant Parmesan!" everything  looked delicious. "With! A Side of roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli." Bragging on as she placed a bottle of sparkling apple juice on the table.

I stood in front my chair leaning on it. "What are we celebrating." I ask.

Johnny placed his book down. "We're all happy and healthy! Dinner time is family time and having family is a celebration in itself." He smiled at me and urged me to sit.

Miranda parents were vegetarian. M was a "baby Vegetarian"

Listen! if I had Martha cooking for me I'd be vegetarian. Her food is good.

"So girls what new?" She sat at the head of the table.

"Well I'm considering getting a job."

Johnny almost chocked on his food. 

"Honey are you alright?" Her mom asked concerned.

"Really, what's the catch in this Miranda?" He asked skeptical. Miranda has never worked a day in her life and probably won't have to if she doesn't want to. Her father was a Doctor and a bestseller author.

"No catch I need to earn a little money and job experience. I got a lot of time on my hands and I want to make good use if it."

"Okay, we'll where were you thinking of working?"

"I was talking with Nia and she said I be a total shoe in working with her at the park."

I looked at her confused but the look on M's face made me realize I had to play along. "Yeah! Miranda has it in the bag."

"Well I'm thinking, we need to take a road trip visit some college's soon. Your cousin even said she let us stay with her next time we visted the Midwest, Maybe we can even bring Nia if she wants."

"I can't really afford to spend money right now I'm  paying for SAT prep and such."

"Oh honey don't worry, we would look out for you."

I felt sqimish

"Nia I assure you it's okay. I don't want to make you uncomfortable but you've been such a joy to have around and Miranda has really beifited from being around you, I mean she wants to get a job. "

"Hey! But she's right Nia. You are a Good influence on me."

"So what do you say? girls trip?"

"Alright!" I gave in but still felt something inside.... I sometimes felt like a charity to others. I know it's my own insecurities taking over. So I'm letting go and going with the flow.

"Yay, we going to have the best time." Miranda cheered. We all raised our glasses and did a toast.

*******

"So, there's a party tonight at Diamonds house. You wanna go?"

She broke the silence that had been in the room for about a hour. I sat at her desk studying my prep-work book. I turned around to look at her she was sitting up sitting criss cross writing in some notebook. I'm assuming she is doing her homework.

"Mmhum wouldn't you rather go with Juan and not tell me about it." My snarky reply was met with side eye.

"Honestly I rather finish my SAT prep." I wasn't even halfway through with my textbook reading section. Miranda sighed shaking her head at me. "I'm sorry, I have to prioritize my studies M."  I say in all seriousness. Despite how I felt, I needed to finish my work.