Chapter 8: Progress Made

It seemed like no time before it was almost the Fourth of July, and you had gotten closer with Theo and Peter, as well as getting closer to the open house and finishing your project.

It had become routine for you guys to go watch Lauries band when they would get booked, and if they weren't playing you all would still hang out at the Brownstone. You were loving living in New York, and wished the summer would never end.

The only issue was that your teleportation device was acting up.

Theo groaned, falling back in his chair dramatically.

"Are you sure we can't go get Melanie?" Peter asked. "We've been trying this for hours."

"No, I'm not giving up just yet." Theo said. "I want to be able to do it myself- or, ourselves, I guess."

You sighed, kneeling back towards the floor where your machine rested. It resembled a field goal, two large magnetic posts with a separation bar between them. The real machinery was connected to that bar, and it was supposed to manipulate the magnetic field created by the magnets to become the portal. Except something wasn't working.

"I'll run through the code again." Peter exhaled, tapping into his laptop.

You and Theo returned to the device, making sure all the wire endings met and that everything was in working order. As you scanned over the inner workings again, you noticed a wire hanging loosely from its bolt tucked away in the corner.

"Maybe this is it?" You asked yourself, grabbing the tweezers to reach down into the space, adjusting the placement of the wire. "Peter try it again."

"Okie dokie." Peter said, clicking his laptop. "Clear the area."

You and Theo stepped away, watching your device. The magnets began to buzz like they had been, but what you were looking for was a thin transparent sheen to connect the bars.

So when one began to form, you grabbed Theo's arm excitedly.

The film stretched from magnet to magnet and held, creating a distortion in the air around the device.

"Holy shit." Theo breathed. "I think we've got it."

"Give me something, quick." You said.

Theo reached into his pocket and pulled out a pen, handing it to you. You walked over in front of the machine, gently tossing the pen between the magnets.

It disappeared.

You gaze snapped to Theo, then to Peter, and then to the receptor platform you had built, where the teleported items should have appeared.

The pen popped back into existence, clattering to the floor of the platform.

"Holy shit!" Theo shouted.

Peter switched it off, grinning like an idiot. "It works."

"It works!" You repeated, running at him. Peter caught you easily, but wasn't expecting Theo as well, and went tumbling to the floor under the weight of two people.

You all just laid there, grinning from ear to ear in a tangled mess of limbs.

Theo was the first to haul himself up from the floor. "I've got to call my grandma." He said, grabbing his phone and disappearing into the hallway.

You could hear the beginning of his conversation before the door swung shut. "Yeah... we did it grandma, it works..."

"I should text Laurie." You said, wiggling to pull your phone out.