eighteen | vulnerable

*.*.*.*.*.*

October 18

I don't know what's weirder, the fact that when I wake up, I'm in the medical room at school, or the fact that when I open my eyes, the first face I see is Shane's.

"Thank God you're okay." He exhales a relieved breath, stuffing his phone into his pocket before taking a step toward me.

"What happened?" I groan.

"Cliché question," Shane points out, tilting his head to one side. "One you should be answering seeing you're the one who fainted and nearly gave everyone a heart attack."

I narrow my eyes at him before looking around the room. Pushing myself up, I wince when nearly pull out the canola inserted into the back of my hand. I stare at it, taking in the rest of the hospital room.

"Am I going to die?" I ask Shane, suddenly curious.

He huffs and rolls his eyes. "Hopefully not."

"But chances are I could?"

He scowls at me. "Can you stop talking and have some patience while we wait for the doctor to come in and answer both our questions?"

"Patience? Never heard of her."

A smile slides onto Shane's lips and he chuckles. "Oh, so patience is a she?"

I shrug, trying not to feel awkward that I'm lying on a bed and that Shane is the only one standing beside me.

"I don't know, I guess I always kind of see patience as feminine," I admit, looking around.

"That's sexist, don't you think?" Shane asks.

"What can I say, I'm a bad person."

Questions spring up in my mind. The last thing I remember is falling in the school corridor while following Racheal out of the girls' bathrooms. My thoughts go back to Riley and Racheal and where they might be. More importantly, though, did anyone tell my parents?

Shane sighs. "You're one of the only people who believe that lie."

"What's a lie?" I ask, having lost track of our conversation.

"That you're a bad person," Shane says calmly.

It's weird how gentle his tone is and how evenly he can keep conversing with me. He's one of the easiest people to talk to that I've ever met, his expressions non-judgmental and his full attention on me when I talk. I'm pretty sure it's not just me who feels this way.

"You think I'm a good person?" I ask.

"One of the best." He smiles.

Is it crazy that I blush?

"You're so weird," I mumble, tugging at the drip attached to me and pumping an opaque liquid into my bloodstream.

"And you're low on glucose which is worse," Shane counters, nodding toward the liquid.

I roll my eyes and try not to smile. Try and fail.

The door to the room opens and a nurse comes in, carrying a clipboard with a few sheets attached to it. Following at her heels are Racheal and Riley, wide-eyed and exhaling when they see I'm awake. As for the nurse, she looks at Shane who takes a couple of steps away from the bed to give us some space.

"Glad to see you awake, Taylor," the nurse with a smooth bun of dark-blonde hair says to me, smiling before peeking down at her notes.

"Thanks," I mumble. "Can I go home?"