22| Chamber music

Start from the beginning

"What is it?" asked Yoongi.

"I forgot to tell you!" he groaned, turning to Victoria, "You can't visit New York tomorrow! I enrolled you in the Juilliard Sonata Competition Chamber Orchestra... and the practises start tomorrow."

Her expression fell a little and she wasn't able to hide her disappointment. This news meant that once again, she would stay indoors between four walls for another day, practising until dusk instead of visiting the city with Yoongi.

"It's – It's fine," she said, sending them a smile she wanted to be sincere, "I love chamber orchestra! And it will be good for my resume to be part of the Juilliard's ensemble. I can visit the city another day."

The Juilliard Sonata Competition Chamber Orchestra was a small ensemble put together every year. The contest participants playing string instruments, so violin, viola, cello and double bass, were put together to create a small group of musicians, who practised during the two weeks of the competition to present the results on the last day of the contest, which was always a very successful concert followed by a huge party.

Yoongi knew perfectly well that being part of it was a must for any respected string instrumentalist, but he also knew that it probably meant Victoria wouldn't have any free time at all in the next two weeks, because she would need to practise her pieces for the orchestra as well as the Sonata No.9 for the competition. Her disheartened expression was enough of a clue to make him understand that she too, understood the meaning of it.

"You used to hate chamber orchestra," interrupted Jungkook, almost a whisper.

He looked sad, and again, Yoongi wondered what had happened between him and Victoria that had changed their relationship so drastically from friends to this awkward situation.

"Well, I changed," the girl responded, brows knitting together.

Neither Taehyung nor Hoseok dared to say anything. The atmosphere was slowly shifting to something glacial and uncomfortable.

"I can see that," spoke Jungkook and he stood up, a dejected expression on his face, "I need to go."

There was a heavy silence before Hoseok broke it, trying to loosen up everyone as he smiled at the boy.

"Have a good night, see you soon. Good luck for the competition!"

Four pairs of eyes looked at Jungkook, who just stood beside the table, rooted to the spot. His soft chocolate eyes stopped on Victoria, who blankly looked back at him.

"Can you – can you come with me for a minute?" the boy suddenly asked her, "I need to talk to you."

Victoria glared at him, then at Yoongi, then back to Jungkook, and she didn't move a finger, indecision marking her traits.

"Yeah! You should go, catch up with your friend," said the pianist.

Whatever was going on between the two, some talking was clearly necessary to fix it. The girl pursed her lips, then stood up beside Jungkook.

"I'll be right back," she said.

"Take all the time you need, we are going back to our rooms anyway, it's getting late," the pianist conveyed.

The girl nodded carefully, before following Jungkook towards the exit. She looked back at Yoongi before walking out the door, sending him a small painful grin and the pianist smiled back at her, confident that the two of them talking freely without a public would fix everything.

Taehyung, Hoseok and Yoongi stood up after the last plates were removed from the table, and they followed each other through the crowd, reaching the lobby of the hotel. The pianist yawned, eyes closing with exhaustion as they reached the elevator.