Chapter 21

Tic eyed the forest. The flickering lights blinked on and off through the dense underbrush, then were extinguished. Saber waved, recognizing the lone figure walking toward them. The man was huge, at least as tall as Saber, his skin even darker. Like Saber, he was broad through the chest.

"Saber!" He flashed a wide smile. "We live another day to fight." His crusty voice held more joy than Tic had heard since the invasion.

Saber embraced the older man and turned to Tic. "Fog, this is my father. Centaur."

Tic shook the older man's hand. He noted the family resemblance, especially the way Centaur's dark, wide-set eyes were inquisitive and kind. Saber must have been the public face of their family business becauseTic couldn't recall if he'd ever seen Centaur working at the Wren. He hadn't worked directly with the operative, but he knew that call sign well. One memory stood out—Norse's reactions to Centaur's voice when they'd be monitoring resistance raids. Others celebrated his success. Norse was quiet.

Tic shivered. Centaur would be high on Norse's most-wanted list, his name right there with Tic Ford and Jack Gamble.

"Have Blue and Field made it to the rendezvous?" Saber asked. "I must speak with them."

"Blue is dead." Centaur sighed heavily. "He was stopped for questioning three days ago at an SEC checkpoint. Shot for no reason."

Saber's face flushed. "Bastards."

SEC—Maggie. Tic hoped she hadn't been involved. He closed his eyes, trying not to think about her.

"We could spend hours reciting the names of friends we've lost. It won't bring them back. We'll honor them by ending Corona's iron rule." Centaur gestured toward the trees. "Field arrived before the sun went down, and waits with the Council. Come."

Saber and Tic followed Centaur beneath the swaying tree branches. Their comrades were spread out along the path and deep amongst the trees, most in smaller groups. Sentries' lamps lit their way up the hill, and they scrutinized the new arrivals. Most accepted Saber. He knew some of their faces, greeting friends and strangers alike. Tic heard quiet murmurs. Corona. Military. Treachery. Fog? They recognized him. After all, he'd been close to the FE, and a familiar face at Corona Headquarters. He was from Torredo. A traitor. The enemy. But, he was Fog.

Word spread up the mountainside and the people drew closer to get a better look. They emerged from behind the trees and the boulders, pressing in on Saber and Tic from both sides. Saber pounded Tic's back, urging him to stand tall, though he didn't need the encouragement.

"By the Grand Emperor's ass!" a woman exclaimed from somewhere just ahead of Tic.

He increased his stride, peering into the shadows. That voice. It couldn't be... Maggie? When the breeze swept low-hanging branches aside, he stopped. She had traded in her army uniform for casual hiking clothes.

Tic wanted to pick her up, swing her around, kiss her. But he just gaped. "You're Field?"

"Lieutenant Atticus Ford," Maggie said.

"Sergeant Costarossa."

"Aren't we surprised? What if I'd had to shoot you!" she said.

Tic couldn't move. It was Maggie. And she was with the resistance. "If Berg has his way, you still might."

Maggie had had enough talk. She ran into his arms and kissed him long and hard.

"What the—" Saber said from behind them. "You two? Sleeping with the enemy who, lucky-for-you, turns out to be your ally?" He slapped his thigh. "Incredible."