Chapter 27

Jack watched endless reports on the streams, scrutinizing the holos of Torredo dozens of times. For every captured fighter reported, every cache of weapons uncovered, and the lies conjured about his uncle, pent-up adrenaline kicked up fury that made his hands shake. But for every victory claimed by Corona, Jack knew the resistance was hitting hard and winning small battles that would make a difference.

He steadied his hands and poured the last of the wine into the two glasses on the desk. With a sigh, he stood and walked to the viewport. A C-77 approached from Alibris to dock at the orbital station, and he counted a number of smaller transports, trying not to think this could be his final drink with Ben.

The door slid open and Ben stepped in.

Jack felt his surprise and grinned. "You thought I'd take off, didn't you?"

"I hoped you wouldn't," Ben replied, his smile warm.

"Business wrapped up?" Jack asked. "The locals pleased with your presence?"

"Absolutely." Ben studied the holo Jack had projected above the desk. "You seem so sure about slipping back onto Torredo. Getting past Corona defenses won't be easy."

"I know more about their tactics than your average rebel." I know Norse.

"I guess you do," Ben said. "No wonder your face is plastered all over the streams."

Jack met his gaze, but was afraid what he'd do or say if he held it. He concentrated on the holo. Ben shifted closer. Being in the same room with him was distracting enough, but breathing in the scent of the crisp clean tunic Ben wore was maddening.

Guilt brought Jack's head out of the nebula.

I need to tell you about Norse.

But he might never see Ben again. What difference would it make?

And why am I having this same argument with myself? Work, man, get back to work!

"I've analyzed the defense perimeter. No surprises there." Jack pointed to Torredo's smaller moon. "Desarra's shadow. That's my way in."

Ben picked up the cup of wine on the desk and tapped it thoughtfully. "You really think you can get under Corona's defenses?"

"Not a problem. A ship the size of the AF-24 will slip right past their noses."

Ben was shaking his head as he sat at the desk, and paged through images on the holo display. He tried to convince Jack he'd stand a better chance with Nightstorm. "No sneaking in, just the standard checks at the ODP and we'll have clearance to land. Once we're on the ground, you can blend in with my crew, head into the capital for a drink, and find your contacts."

"I'm going in with the fighter," Jack repeated. "Less risk to you and your crew. If I'm discovered on your ship, you're dead. That won't do either of us any good."

"This conversation sounds familiar." Ben leaned back and sighed, turning to watch a small transport nose out of Alibris' hangar bay.

"Torredo is my home, and Norse..." Jack groaned. He grabbed his wine and took a long swallow, hoping it might act like a truth serum.

Ben met Jack's eyes, waiting for him to finish his sentence.

"Norse was my cell leader, and..." He still couldn't say it. "I've known him for years."

"He fooled you once," Ben said. "You weren't looking for a traitor."

Ben was too understanding, so nonjudgemental. He deserved the full truth, not just pieces. But those words still wouldn't come.