18

*Christmas day*

I lay facing the ceiling, with everything running through my mind. I'm not looking forward to Christmas day, mainly because it always reminds me of my dad; it’s going to be the second Christmas without him. He always made the day extra special for both me and mum but he always made us both chill out and he insisted he did everything like make the diner, and all the running around. He loved making a fuss over both of us because in his eyes, we were the most spectacular humans on earth and we meant everything to him, just like he meant everything to me.

I got up and quickly put some joggers and a t-shirt on before walking downstairs; I sat on the bottom step and looked into the living room and saw mum and Joe sitting on the sofa, Joe kept kissing mum and her cheek.

As Leah and Nicole were here, they were sitting on the floor with Robert; it was like a perfect, happy family. Except I wasn't there, I didn't fit in this family, I never will either, simple because I don't fit in no matter where I go.

As I was sitting there, my phone vibrated in my pocket, I smiled as soon as I saw Matt's name on the screen "Hello?" I said answering it "HAPPY CHRISTMAS!! Oh my God, I love the top and bag you got me! It’s perfect; I'm like totally in love with it. How did you know I liked Ellie Goulding anyway?" He literally shouted at me, I just laughed at his excitement which is hard not to laugh at, maybe I laughed a little too loud though "Matt, you're my best friend okay, how am I not to know? Plus, I know it may not seem like it, but I do listen to you! I think you're a really fascinating person!" "Oh, so when you try to deny me saying something to you in the future, remember we had this conversation because I'll be holding it against you Hamilton!! You hearing me?" He joked "Sorry what was that? I wasn't paying attention!" I have to admit, I love winding him up, it was pretty funny "Anyway, you opened the present I got you?" He asked after our little laughing session "Nope, I've only just got up!" "Danielle Hamilton, you're so lazy!" "I know right, I so need to get a life I do!"

After about another 20 minutes on the phone to Matt, we finally put the phone down "Now that's what I call a long conversation! Now come on babe, you've got presents to open!!" Mum grabbed my hand and dragged me into the living room "Now, open this one first, I picked it out myself!" I took the present mum was holding and carefully opened it; I gasped as I opened the long rectangle shaped box "Mum.." Was all I could say, it was a necklace I had my eye on for ages, it had musical notes, pianos and guitars dangling off it "But how did you know I wanted this?" I asked "Ahh, me and Matt are good aren't we?" I giggled to myself at the fact mum and Matt managed to swap thoughts on my Christmas presents without me finding out "I don't believe you both sometimes. You both know how to surprise me!" "You love it then?" Mum asked, I looked over to her and smiled before nodding. I opened all my other presents, which were mainly money in cards really, but I didn't mind. I now had one present to open, the present from Matt; I picked it up and opened it to find one of the most beautiful thing ever. It was a bracelet with 'Danielle' engraved onto it; it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, I actually found myself getting a little emotional for some odd reason "That's beautiful Danielle!" Mum whispered sitting next to me "Indeed!" I replied before getting up and walking out.

*A few hours later*

I spent most of my day in my bedroom, I didn't want to ruin the 'happy family' moment; even though I'm family, I don't want to play it with them. I took my phone out of my pocket and saw I had a text; I opened it to see it read 'Remember that everything happens for a reason. So that means I've been distanced from you lately and there's a reason behind it! Xx' I was highly confused by this message but I strolled down to see who it was from and guess who, Nathan. Why is he texting me and what does he mean by it? Just as I was asking myself loads of questions, my door flung opened "Babe, stop being so anti-social and come downstairs!" Mum came in and plonked herself on my bed. I could tell that she was pretty drunk, and if this day couldn't get worse "I'm fine here thanks!" I replied smiling.

Mum eventually left me alone in my bedroom. I have to admit, I was really bored so I took my phone out and decided to text Matt 'Thank you so much for the present, it's so unbelievably amazing!! Don't think I've ever been so bored in my life; hope your life is better? Xxxx'

I could hear Robert crying in mums room but nobody came to see him so I walked in and picked him up; recently, I've bonded with him very well, I love telling my secrets to him, even though I know he doesn't understand me, but he's really grown on me and I feel like I've got a bond with him so I trust him. I picked him up out of his cot and sat down on mums’ bed, he looked up into my eyes and smiled; it made my heart melt every time he did it.

I laid him down and I leant down next to him, I started to make circles on his hand as he absolutely loves it. I must have sat there for a while with him because everyone and everything downstairs were getting louder. By now, Robert was starting to get a little restless because of all the noise so I decided to put him back in his cot and go downstairs "Danielle come, have a drink" mum slurred "No mum, can you all be a little quieter, Robert's getting all restless! Plus, you're all really drunk so I don't think any of you should drink anymore!" "Danielle, come on! Please stop being so weird, okay? Its Christmas day, have a day off! Let your hair down!" Mum's attempt to walk over to me failed by her falling over right in front of me "Jesus mum!" I moaned before picking her up and putting her on the sofa. I let out a big sigh before walking out the room.

I ran back upstairs and into check on Robert who was - by now - crying his little heart out "Hey Robert! It's okay you!" I said rocking him, and my attempt to calm him kind off worked actually! My mothering skills are getting better I must admit. I turned around to face the door as it started to open, only to see Joe staggering in the room "Well would you look at superwoman pretending to play the best mum in the world! Bet you love this kid don't you? Well guess what, you never liked him when he was born-" "Yeah only because I was scared he would turn out like his pathetic dad!" I snarled back, slightly interrupting him "Why, what's wrong with me. I'm a brilliant dad; I treat him, Nicole and Leah equally! I treat your mother great too! I would treat you the same but unfortunately, you're not my daughter or responsibility so I shouldn't have to treat you the same as my two talented, beautiful daughters" I burst out into laughter at him; the cheek off him though "Listen Joe, if you really gave a damn about my mum, you'll accept me too! Because you can't have one without the other, so you'll have to choose between us both or none of us."

I lay Robert down in his cot as he had fallen asleep and as I was about to walk out to my bedroom, Joe grabbed my arm "I don't know what's gotten you so cocky lately but I think you should drop the attitude. Plus, I hear you've been giving Nathan a bit of it too! Just do us all a favour, stay away from him. He's with Nicole now, someone who can treat him right and someone who he deserves, not some dirty filth like you!" I looked up to him "What if I don't stay away from him. What if I try to get him back, what then?" "You'll regret it, trust me!" I quickly wriggled my arm out of him grip and walked out into the bedroom.

Did he just threaten me? Can I actually be friends with Nathan or not? I mean, I know I told him I don't want to go near him but at least I could've if I wanted too! What is Joe going to do if I go near Nathan? Should I tell my mum about it? As usual, I'm probably over-reacting again.