12

I quickly turned around to see mum and Leah there smiling like cheshire cats, Leah closed the door. “So then Danielle, not single anymore then are we?” Mum laughed. “Erm, I am single actually!” I chuckled “Geez, talk about dragging on with the dates!” Leah joked rolling her eyes. I told them what happened and that we were planning to go out on another date some other time. They asked me loads of questions like ‘Did you kiss?’ ‘How many ‘moments’ did you have?’ Etc. We spoke about it for at least half an hour until we went downstairs. Nicole was on the sofa in the living room watching the music channel; we all went into the kitchen to get a drink. “Where’s Joe mum?” I asked after realising he wasn’t in the house “Ohh, he went out to do some shopping. He should be back soon!” She replied. I turned round to see Leah staring at me; I looked back at her like ‘What you looking at?’ Expression on my face “I’m so happy for you Danielle. You’s are perfect together; you’s are going to make each other so happy.” Leah said not breaking her gaze from me.

I could hear a lot of shouting from downstairs; it woke me up so I was really confused about what was happening and where I was. When I finally came round, I realised it was the boys who were laughing. Someone knocked on my door as I was just getting out of bed; I walked over to the door to see one person I really wanted to see. He turned round to me giving me his baby face look, I smiled at him trying to copy his face, and he stood there laughing at me as I completely failed at it “I do love you, even if you fail at the baby face look!” He laughed hugging into me. He pulled away slightly from me “So then Hamilton, I heard last night was a success. Jay hasn’t stopped talking about it. Well I say he hasn’t stopped talking about it, his face says it all. He hasn’t stopped smiling and being all cheerful since he came home.” I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who enjoyed last night and thought it was a success. “You could say last night was a success Sykes!” We walked downstairs to see mum and Leah fussing over Nicole in the living room “Nathan, come here!” Leah worryingly said. Nicole was having really bad pains in her stomach but we didn’t know why, “An ambulance is on its way! We don’t know what’s happening” Leah carried on.

Nath went up to Nicole and sat in front of her, he stroked her face “It’s going to be okay!” He said softly to her “You’re going to get through this and everything is going to be okay! I promise!” I was pretty worried, not only because she might be having a miscarriage, but because even though I know Nathan is nowhere near ready to have a baby, it’s still going to kill him if she does.

*5 hours later*

I was sitting in the living room, mum and Leah were running around the house not being able to stay still after Nicole and Nathan went off in the ambulance. Joe’s gone to the hospital to pick them up, so we’re sat here not knowing what’s happened. They should be back soon though, hopefully. I walked out into the kitchen; Leah was sitting at the dining table and mum on the big chairs. I sat in front of my mum and smiled nervously at her; I reached out to get her hand and held it “It’s going to be okay mum!” She sighed and broke away from looking at me and let go of my hand “It’s not though!”

She stood up and looked at me as if she was keeping something from me. But what was it if she was? “Lisa!” Leah said, sounding like she was pleading her. I looked round to her, and then back to my mum “What’s happened?” I was starting to get really scared right now. “I-I’m pregnant too! I’m 8 weeks!” I stood there in absolute fright. I couldn’t move. She’s pregnant did she say? No, no way could she be I can’t be a sister. I like being an only child. This is meant to be good news but somehow, I couldn’t see the good side to it, I felt so alone again. Like I was on my own and no one was there to make me smile. Like that pain in my chest has just came round the corner and punched me, this time, it’s punched me right down and it hurts too much to get back up again. Now I know my dad has officially gone, which sounds stupid because I know I’m over it now, even though I still miss him terribly.

I got so lost in thought that I forgot I was standing there, in fright. By now my eyes were all watery, I felt a tear rolling down my cheek “Danielle” I looked up to her to see mum with tears in her eyes too. Leah walked over to us and rubbed my arm “It’s going to be okay you know!” She said “Wait, you knew about this?” I shouted, she looked at me with a sorry face on “Danielle, please don’t kick off or an-” “Kick off? Everyone knew about it before me? What the fuck mum?” I interrupted mum, I quickly ran off and up into my bedroom. I didn’t realise Joe, Nathan and Nicole had just walked in, I ran into Nathan “Danielle, what’s wrong?” He asked trying to get hold off me “Piss off Nathan!” I quickly made my way passed him and upstairs. I don’t know why I was taking this so bad or why it hurts me so much, I was just so upset over it and that’s all I knew off.

I lay on my bed and cried for about half an hour, I literally couldn’t stop crying. My door opened then closed a few seconds later, I didn’t bother looking round to see who it was because I knew it was only one person, my mum. She lay on my bed next to me and started to stroke my hair, “I’m sorry, I should’ve told you when I found out. But I knew you would’ve reacted like this and I was just scared that you wouldn’t accept it, but just because me and Joe are having a baby, that doesn’t change anything, you’re still going to be number one, okay?” She carried on stroking my hair “Of course it’s going to change everything mum, it’s a kid for God sake. You’re going to have to put all your time into this kid. I don’t mean for that to sound like I’m spoilt or anything, it’s just I think that even though people say their other kid will be number one, they can’t truly be because you have another kid to look after and you’ve got to look after that child aswell as the other” I sat up and looked at her, “I’m the one who should be sorry, it was just a shock that was all!” I sighed and turned away from her “I like being the only child, and I just felt like I was being replaced.. Like dad’s being replaced, because you’re happy now with Joe, and I remember when that was you and dad, that made me so happy to see how happy you were, now I look at you’s two and I don’t see dad, I see Joe, he’s not my dad, he never will be. But I just miss him that’s all, that’s why I reacted like I did. I really am sorry mum!” I started to cry again, mum hugged me tightly “I understand baby girl, but I promise no one is being replaced nor am I going to treat you any different when this baby arrives! Firstly, how you feeling, are you okay with it?” I looked at her in the eyes, and smiled “I’m okay with it, I promise!”

We lay down for a while, I don’t feel truly happy about this pregnancy but I didn’t want to tell mum as I didn’t want her to be unhappy because of me being a spoilt little girl who has to have everything her way “Mum, what happened with Nicole?” I completely forgot about her until now. Mum looked at me “She had a miscarriage! She doesn’t know about me yet so can you just be quite about it, just for a while, because she’s obviously devastated about the news!”