7: Dawn

Remnya

Nightmares plagued Remnya's head as she turned over in bed and sweated through the cold morning. She almost missed her classes but woke up in time thanks to Maria. Despite the concern in her head, Remnya passed her test, impressing her teacher, who always thought she was dense and distracted.

However, Remnya didn't care about grades. As soon as her classes ended, she wandered the mansion in search of answers.

She questioned Maria and the rest of the servants, but no one knew anything. "Where are Magenta and Marcus?" Remnya asked as she strode through the corridor.

"Lady Magenta is out, she left yesterday and is not coming back until tomorrow," Maria said, struggling to follow Remnya. "And Mr. Marcus is busy with work right now."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Remnya opened a door, peeked inside, and then slammed it.

"I didn't think—"

"You never think!" Remnya cut her off with a glare. "What about Mr. Ronner?"

"Mr. Ronner is, uh . . . " Maria smiled and looked away.

"What?"

"I honestly don't know where he is, young lady. I apologize." Maria bowed to her, her purple dress dancing nervously around her legs.

"You don't know?" Remnya scowled at her and exhaled deeply. "Find him right now!" she yelled, her voice echoing throughout every hall.

Maria widened her eyes as her smile faded. "As you wish, young lady." She bowed again and dashed toward the garden.

Remnya realized how loud she had been speaking, or rather, shouting orders. That was not her. She sounded like Marcus. After spending so much time with him, she had begun to pick up some of his habits. At that rate, she would start hitting the servants too.

Remnya dropped to a couch and bit her lower lip.

I should apologize to Maria. She did nothing wrong.

After a short wait, Ronner stepped into the room. He looked sleepy, and his hair was a stylish mess. He was wearing a black t-shirt and jeans. Remnya had never seen him without his impeccable blue suit. Despite his short stature, his arms were huge and dense like rocks.

"Good morning, beautiful," he said, his teeth sparkling.

"Mr. Ronner!" Remnya shouted, running up to him with a wide smile. "There's a problem!"

"Tell me about it." He messed up her hair and sat on the couch next to her.

Remnya did her best to explain the situation. Ronner listened in silence, yawning and rubbing his eyes. His face remained expressionless as Remnya revealed the awful details.

"Who could do something like that, Mr. Ronner?"

Ronner rubbed his chin and kept a serious expression. He glanced at the door, over the windows, and finally, his blue orbs halted on Remnya's crimson gaze.

"I think I know who did this."

"Who?"

"Marcus."

"What?" Remnya's face froze as her breath stopped. "No way, he wouldn't . . . "

"He said he would punish Brisa for having broken some jewelry. I forbid him from doing so, but he's a stubborn man." Ronner sighed.

Remnya shook her head nervously. "But . . . Brisa told me he didn't."

"Of course. She's scared of him, no way she would admit it. He would beat her again and fire her from the mansion."

"But . . . " Remnya held her head in her hands. Her chest hurt as her feelings wrestled each other in a vicious fight.