Chapter Thirty

guys, if you're reading this, please make sure you've read the chapter before. there were *at least* two uploads today and probably more like four or five. so double-check before you read anything! if something doesn't make sense, read the chapter before. okay, go ahead if you're sure!

---

Callin

I slip into Harry's room as Louis and Paul are talking.

They don't even notice.

And I lock the door behind me.

Harry looks up, and his eyes are scarily blank.

“Callin” he says.

It's not a question.

“Harry” I reply. “How are you?”

“I wish I was dead” he replies. “Why wouldn't you let me die?”

“Louis” I say. “I care about Louis, and if you died, Louis would never recover.”

Harry blinks.

I feel so, so guilty, but this has to be done.

Even if it means tricking someone who shouldn't have to be tricked, playing with his broken emotions.

“The trial's next week” I continue. “If Lavender's going to go away, we need you.”

Nobody's saying it, but I know it's true.

“They have you” Harry says. “They don't need me.”

I shrug.

“If you saw Lavender, over the two weeks they had you, we can put her away for lifetimes” I say.

“But all I can do is put her away for a few years. All she did was hold a gun to my head.”

“All?” Harry asks weakly. “She had us in terror for a week before she took me! And for the story!”

I stare at him.

His eyes are still so blank, but he's shaking.

“For the story?” I ask softly. “What do you mean?”

“Nothing” Harry whispers. “I shouldn't have said anything.”

“She talked to you” I say. “She told you why she did it.”

Harry nods slowly.

“Don't . . . tell Louis” he whispers.