Chapter Thirteen

Louis

By the time we get back home, it's tea-time. The last ten minutes of the ride, Harry's in a full-on panic.

“Who's going to make the food? Niall'd burn the house down. Zayn'd burn next door down!”

“How's Zayn gonna manage that?”

“I don't know, but he would!”

“You'd think we were all completely incompetent, gosh, Harry.”

“You know, we all live on our own, I'd think they know how to work a stove.”

Harry sighs.

“But the poor stove!” he says. I pet him on the back.

“The stove'll be fine” Liam grumbles.

Then we pull into the driveway, and Harry's out of the van before Liam and I can even unbuckle our seat-belts.

By the time we get inside, Harry's already cooking something, and it smells pretty good. Niall and Callin are sitting on the couch, talking.

I limp over on my crutches and drop down next to Niall. Liam sits down on the other couch, across from ours.

“Where's Zayn?” he asks Niall. “And don't you dare tell me 'upstairs'.”

That was uncalled for.

“I think he's in the kitchen” Niall says. “He was about to start making food when you guys got back. What's up with Harry? He didn't even stop to say hi.”

“The thought of someone else at the stove sent him into a panic” Liam says.

I catch Callin's eye and smile at her. She frowns and looks away.

What did I do?

“Did you see the interview?” Liam asks Niall.

“Yeah” he says. “Was it as awkward as it looked?”

“The interviewer had a crush on Louis” Liam says. Callin snorts.

What did I do to her?

“Yeah, Lou, what was that?” Niall asks, nudging my shoulder playfully. “'I stepped on a plate'.”

“Harry laughed” I say distractedly. I try to catch Callin's eye again, but she won't look at me.

“Yeah, so did we, but really?” Niall says. “'Well, it was in pieces when I stepped on it'.”