Chapter Nine

Louis

“I don't care” Callin says softly. “Really, Louis. I don't matter.” Her voice is shaking; I know she doesn't mean it. Not completely. “People care about you” she continues. “Nobody cares about me.”

“I care about you” I reply “And he's going to shoot me no matter what.” I turn to the man. “Promise me she'll go free” I tell him. His cold, blue eyes connect with mine.

“I swear” he says.

“Callin, please tell Harry that I love him” I tell her. “And tell the others that I'm so, so sorry.”

“Are you done?” the man spits.

“Do it” I tell him. I spread my arms wide. He can't miss. Not unless he's a really awful shot. He moves the gun away from Callin's head and towards me.

There are two distinct cracks. They're nearly simultaneous.

And then the man's dead on the floor and I'm still standing, my ears ringing frantically.

I can still see his blue eyes.

But there's no more light left in them.

-

Niall

“He's okay” Patrick says, after a tense few minutes. I finally remember how to breathe. Robin squeezes my hand.

“What happened?” I ask. I'm still shaking. Louis almost died.

“The police saw a shot and they took it” Patrick says shortly, sliding his radio into his pocket. He looks almost angry.

“You mean-” I start to say. Patrick cuts me off.

“I mean Louis just saw a man get shot” he says. “We're meeting them outside.” I turn to Robin. She looks almost sad. I suppose that makes sense. It must be awfully boring alone in the hospital.

“D'you know where you are?” I ask. She grins.

“You've never been bored with free run of a hospital before, have you?” she asks. “I couldn't get lost if I tried. I'll get back to my room fine. But you promised me your number.” She passes me her mobile. I add a new contact, and plug in my number.

“You have to actually call me” I say, passing it back.

“Why wouldn't I?” Robin asks.

“Most girls are too scared” I say. “They think I'm kidding or something.”