With the real Jupiter about to make landfall Uri needed to get back to Japan to reinforce his alibi that he was the hard working businessmen that everyone thought he was. There could not be any changes to his plan and the last thing he needed right now was someone running amuck and bringing attention on himself.

He emphasised this point to his friend Peng before finishing with.

'Attwood's wife for your brother. Miss Stamford for your men. Mr Attwood to have a guaranteed painful death.'

It was a non negotiable contract and one Peng accepted with a dismissive wave of his hand.

'Ok my friend. But I want to know how he died and I want to know that his wife screamed for mercy.'

Peng thought about his own future. He would have to take over the arms shipment himself. He had no one else he could trust. He would of course make sure his brother's family received some of the money. That was only right.

Of his men that had been in the house one had survived. A bullet wound to his chest. As he was carried out Peng heard him moan. It caused his face to contort in anger.

The last time Peng had heard such a noise was when he had personally gouged a man's eyes out for trying to steal some of his money and now, walking back outside, his only hope was that the bastard who had killed his brother would somehow meet the same fate.

Uri Takiyoma remained inside the house.

Out of respect for what was happening around him and to realign his own thoughts.

One of the last bodies taken out was of his friend Nakamura. A man of little words he was a man who had stood by Uri's side for the last three years and had never once complained nor questioned his role as a bodyguard.

There was little doubt that Attwood had surprised Uri today. Shocked him would have been a better word if it didn't imply an air of weakness. Uri had taken him for a love struck fool and yet he had killed in cold blood.

Knowing your enemy went a long way to defeating him and the next task for Uri was to try and get inside Attwood's head.

Nakamura's family would have to be informed of course. That would be done in due course. They would understand. No questions would be asked. The Takiyoma family had established themselves for many years as a family of wealth and power. They were held in high regard and Nakamura's family would get their just reward for his loyalty.

Uri mulled over everything said during the past twenty four hours.

He gazed absentmindedly at blood splattered on walls, he looked down at blood stained on the floor; he took in the scent of death that was still hanging in the air.

'So where, my little Attwood friend,' he asked, 'have you run to?'

He meant it when he said that Attwood had no place to hide. All local airports would be watched as soon as Peng had made the necessary arrangements. All airlines would be checked for names on registers. It would be almost impossible for him to escape unnoticed so where exactly would he go?

Uri closed his eyes. He tried to imagine fear, he tried to imagine confusion; two concepts he always struggled with. He then tried to imagine what he would do if he had either of these emotions. He shook his head in frustration and then of a sudden his eyes opened.

'Yes,' he said to himself. 'A friend. You would turn to a friend.'

The question now was over who exactly would that person be.

A name suddenly flittered through Uri's mind. Like a fish in murky water it was illusive, unable to be caught. Did Jennifer mention it in passing? Did he overhear Attwood use it in conversation?

And then yes ... he saw it clearly.

Geoff Whartley the private detective.

It caused a smile. It was a start, a beginning and if all went well then it would be the beginning of the end.

The last of Peng's men had long gone. The house had taken on a heavy silence. Uri waited a little while longer and then made for the door. He walked alone to a car standing on its own.

On the back seat was a wooden crate. It held the painting that had hung in the living room.

The next of the six ships would be launched in a few months time. Uri shrugged. Stamford Enterprises was finished in all but name only. He would see to that in the coming months that laid ahead.

But for all the destruction, for all the deaths, in truth, Uri only cared about the fate of one man; a pompous old man who Uri had the misfortune to call a father.

Stamford knew Takiyoma; Stamford Enterprises had joined forces with Takiyoma Industries and that, thought Uri ruefully, had been unfortunate for Stamford.

He allowed himself the pleasure of a wide open smile. His father didn't know what Uri had known all along. About the affair and how Uri's mother had died.

All in good time Uri thought to himself. All in good time.

Jennifer Stamford had not been the only one to have wanted revenge.

At first they had found a kindred spirit in each other's arms but then quite quickly Uri had seen her for who she really was, a bitter old women who had no vision at all except towards her own tiny existence which was why he no longer had any need for her nor her sad and pathetic love child.

He picked up a briefcase and placed it on his lap. He opened it to reveal amongst many things, a small note book. He took it. He found what he was looking for, the address of a man in Stuttgart.

The man answered. Uri gave him his next assignment, a family in England.

'And I want no traces,' said Uri. 'Be in position ready but wait for my call. I need to make sure that they will be in. Make sure it looks like an accident. A gas explosion maybe?'

Which was easily done thought Uri for a man expert on demolition and weaponry.

'I'll catch the first flight out,' said the man. 'I'll stay in London and await your call.'

Uri checked his notes again and made a second call.

A woman's voice answered this time.

Kirk Attwood may have surprised Uri today but in a game of chess all he had effectively done was take one of Uri's pawns. It had been a bold move, Uri would agree on that, but as far as the bigger picture was concerned, it was nothing too dangerous.

He settled back into his seat before speaking.

Now, thought Uri, was the time to engage his own Knight. Let it scatter a few pigeons, he mused opening his mouth slightly into a grin. Let his knight run amuck behind enemy lines and let us see what this man Kirk is capable of.

'Hello?'

'Ahh yes, Mrs Attwood,' Uri said in a buoyant mood. 'I have some wonderful news to give you.'

+   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +

We are now on the homeward stretch.

Did anyone really think Uri was dead?

This is now a race against time.

Just exactly who will win is anybody's guess.

Kirk surprised Uri but I don't think it will happen again.

Uri phoned Cheryl.

What news was he about to her?

Is it time now for Kirk to really give himself up?

Will Mr Peng accept the terms given to him?

Oh so many questions !

Your comments as always quite literally rock my world :)

Take care all
JU