Ch.17 Over her heart

Start from the beginning

"Why are you crying?" Gemma ran her hand over Mavi's hair. She pulled away to look at Mavi's face.

"Because...." Mavi said in between sobs, "I'm so scared.....I don't even know if he likes me. My family is going to freak out. And everyone keeps telling me there is no future for us two.....Owen....he.....I.....he's never going to seem me as something other than just the Princess.....What am I doing Gemma?"

Gemma pulled the girl back into her arms once more, "You don't need to find the answers to all that right now,"

Mavi remained silent as she continued to cry. Gemma's gentle hand over her hair made her feel safe and grounded.

"You're overwhelmed," Gemma noted. "Go upstairs and go to bed. Tomorrow we can figure this out."

Mavi pulled away reluctantly, "You won't tell, right?"

Gemma gave her a soft smile, "I won't tell."

_________________________________

Owen stood in the rose garden looking up at the stars in the night sky. The chilly air bit into his skin, but he couldn't care less.

His mind kept running back to the greenhouse. If Gemma hadn't walked in, what would he have done?

As the answer flashed across his mind clear as day, he looked away from the stars in frustration.

He knew what he was going to do. And the worst part was he wanted to do it.

Taking a deep breath, Owen ran a hand through his already messy brown hair. He could still smell her perfume....

What are you doing? He asked himself. Nothing good can ever come out of this.

Mavi was young. She was naive. Her crush on him was understandable.

But what are you doing? He asked himself again. Why are you behaving like a teenage boy?

As Owen paced the pebbled path in the dark, his mind continuously wandered back to Mavi. She was so beautiful, and smart. Being around her could make even the most sinister sinner melt to his knees. She could light up any room she walked into.

One day she will find her mate. She will be happy. They will get married and have children. He would be the luckiest man in the world....and she would forget all about Owen.

Owen's insides twisted in the ugliest way as he thought about Mavi's future. He knew it was bound to be true. And there was no way it would ever be him standing next to her at the church. He couldn't bare the thought of seeing her in the arms of another man. The mere thought of it made him want to rip apart a man he had never even met.

But if he stuck around, that was exactly what he would be punished to see.

He couldn't do it. He wouldn't make it out alive seeing Mavi find her mate and start a family. So in an act of great selfishness, Owen went back into the party and found the man he needed.

"Owen," Braxton turned to look at the young guard as he approached him. "Where have you been?"

"When is the soonest I can get an interview with the council?" Owen cut right to the chase.

Braxton chuckled, his chocolate skin scrunched up near his eyes. The trimmed white beard he had around his strong jaw stood out like snow.

"Ready to replace me already?" Braxton asked playfully.

Owen kept his composure and cool, "Since I'm here for the weekend, I thought I get it over with as soon as possible."

Braxton nodded, "Alright, Let me see what I can do."