Chapter 10 (The End)

Monday at school wasn't going as poorly as I had imagined. Only a few people snickered behind my back, but no one made fun of me to my face. Good. They know I won't tolerate that-- I'll throw their insults right back in their face.

    Bullying of any form was something I loathed, but I won't tolerate insults to my face. I have always fought back. My parents taught me to always protect myself--and I do.    

Autumn and Katy stayed with me most of the day. Always good to have back up support if needed. The only thing I had been worried about today was seeing him. I don't think I'm ready to face him yet.    

The bell for lunch rang and I headed to the cafeteria. This is the one place I know that I can't avoid him. He will be in here.

I got my food and sat down at my usual table. Autumn and Katy sat next to me, looks of concern were on both of their faces.

"Grace are you okay? I really hope you aren't letting the assholes get to you. Just ignore them. Everyone falls down and hits their head sometimes, it's only human." Autumn said in a loving tone.

    Bless Autumn's good heart, but she had no idea that my mood was so off today because of my impending reunion with Malum. She truly is so oblivious sometimes.

    At that exact moment I saw him. He was standing over by the lunch line, staring directly at me. Like he was trying to peer inside my soul. I wanted to turn away and not have to face him, but I couldn't. He always captivates me. I stared back, trying to have the emotions on my face stay as neutral as possible. I couldn't show sadness, I'm not weak.

    He started walking over to the table and I turned my gaze away--obviously he couldn't take the hint that I did not want to talk to him today.

    "Grace". He said softly.

I didn't want to say anything. He did not deserve my time or energy. He lied to me and I don't want to forgive him--but could I forgive him? We were friends. Best friends even--and I truly valued our friendship. My feelings were hidden though. I try to keep my personal thoughts and feelings to myself. Other people don't need to know how I am feeling unless I share the information with them.

    Malum was no mind reader. Could I truly blame him for hurting me? He didn't seem to have any idea how I felt about him--and honestly I didn't even truly realize my feelings for him until Halloween night. Maybe part of me is to blame. This is all a big miscommunication. He hurt me, but I didn't want to truly lose him-forever.

    At the same time, I didn't want to get my hopes up. I did not want to develop even more feelings for him. What would be the point? He has a girlfriend. He likes her. Why should I set myself up for more heartache when I know I can't win?

    "Grace can we talk for a moment? Somewhere private perhaps?" Malum asked with a calming tone.

    I gave in. "Okay fine. You can have two minutes of my time." I got up from the table and followed him out of the cafeteria. I knew exactly where he was leading me.

    He unlocked the old storage room--our room from the first day we met. He disappeared inside and I followed.

    I stood by the door while he went to turn on the lights. My heart was beating fast now, like it wanted to pop out from my chest. Calm down Grace. Calm down. This will all be over quickly.

    The lights illuminated the room--and him. He looked amazing today.  His outfit wasn't all black for once. He wore a blue shirt with a brown coat hugging over it. His jeans weren't torn up like they usually are, and his hair was neatly combed. I was in awe.