Chapter 1 (Eavesdropping)

These first few weeks of the sophomore year had been flying by so quickly, but now science class on a Friday afternoon felt like an eternity. Why can't school be over already? I thought to myself while I was resting my head on the desk in front of me.

The teacher split us up into lab groups. We were learning how to identify different kinds of rocks and minerals today. Which was bound to be super exciting. Not. I was paired with my friend Autumn, and another girl named Lizzy.

"Do you think this rock is worth a lot of money?" Autumn asked as she picked up a small gold and silver looking rock.

"Probably not. I'm sure these were found outside near the school's' garden or something." Lizzy said with a sassy eye roll.

I looked up from the rock she had been examining and cleared my throat, hoping that they would pay attention. "Ladies can we please focus? Who cares where these rocks came from, let's get the task done so we can move on to answering the questions. I'm sure none of us want homework this weekend."

"No I do not want homework this weekend, I have plans with my boyfriend and they will not be ruined by this dumb rock assignment."  Lizzy said while death glaring me.

"Then it's settled, now quit talking and let's focus so we can get this done."  I said

Of course Lizzy had plans with her boyfriend. Those two seemed inseparable.

We continued to work on the assignment until the end of the class. The last bell of the day finally rang much to everyone's delight. Autumn and I walked out of the classroom together while talking about our weekend plans.

"Are your parents going to that car show at Lake George this weekend?" Autumn asked.

"No that happened a few weekends ago Autumn, I wish you payed more attention silly." I replied in a humorous tone even though I was annoyed with her lack of memory.

"Sorry, I've had a lot going on with school and soccer. It's hard to keep up nowadays. Our lives seem to keep getting busier and busier as we get older."

"Yes that's what my mother tells me all the time. She says I should enjoy all the free time I have now because as I grow up there is less of it."
Autumn nodded in agreement.

We were walking past the front office when suddenly my eyes glanced over to a boy and an older man standing in the hall. They were talking to Mr. Jenkins, the principal of the high school. The boy had messy, dark black hair and was wearing a black shirt with a popular bands' logo on it. I noticed the blue jeans he was wearing had tears scattered all over. The man standing next to him, who I assumed to be his father, had the same dark black hair.

Even though I know eavesdropping is frowned upon, I wanted to hear more of their conversation. My body reacted faster than my brain did. I stopped right before the hallway ended. Still able to see the boy and his father I knelt down and took off my backpack.

"Autumn I need to check something in my bag before we get on the bus." I said to her quickly.

Why was I doing this? I did not know this guy and I had no reason to eavesdrop on their conversation. What did any of their conversation mean to me? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I'm 99% sure that it was irrelevant to my life, and yet here I am eavesdropping.

"So my son will have 5 classes each day?" the man asked Mr. Jenkins.

"Yes sir that is correct. Three in the morning, and two in the afternoon. Of course there will be a lunch break in between the morning and afternoon though. We do treat our kids properly here."

"Excellent, excellent. Do you have any questions for Mr. Jenkins son?"

I saw the boy look at his father, and quickly replied, "nope."