Chapter 4 (Plans)

What kid isn't excited to leave school and go home? Practically none, but on this day I definitely was the most excited of them all. The bus dropped me off at my house and I rushed inside. Dad wouldn't be coming home from work until later this evening and mom is out running errands right now. Trying not to focus on the impending phone call, I decided to put on some tv to distract my mind. Everything at this time of day was boring, It was mostly talk shows or game shows. How unexciting. I turned off the tv and went into my room.

I'll go start on my homework. That would be a good distraction. Maybe I'd finish it by the time Malum called.

I sat at my desk, reading my text books and answering questions. This seemed to be taking forever. How long had I been sitting here? I looked at the clock on my dresser and realized only 20 minutes had passed since I began. Ugh. Why can't he just call already?

The second I thought that, the phone rang. I jumped out of my chair and ran into the kitchen where the phone was. Almost dropping the phone in my attempt to answer quickly, I finally put it up to my ear.

"Hello, Blanchard residence."

"Hey Grace, it's me!" Malum said enthusiastically.

"About time. Whats up?"

"Just relaxing on my sofa. You?"

"I was just getting a head start on my homework before you called. The science worksheet is killing me."

"I bet. I'll have to get working on it later if you say it's difficult." He replied with a slight laugh.

"I'm sure you will do fine. So did you want to make plans for Friday? My parents haven't arrived home yet so I haven't gotten the chance to ask them, but I was curious on what you wanted to do anyways."

"That's okay. Do you want to go see a movie maybe?"

I thought for a moment. A movie. That sounded fun enough. It would give us a few hours to be alone. With nobody to interrupt.

"Yeah definitely. Let's do that!. What time?" I asked.

"Does 7:30 sound good for you?"

"Yes that's fine. I'll run it by my parents and let you know in school tomorrow."

"Sounds good. Can't wait to see you tomorrow. Gotta go start the homework now. See you tomorrow Grace."

"Bye Malum."

I hung up the phone, ran back to my room, and jumped on my bed. I giggled loudly. I was going to the movies. With my first legitimate crush. I can't believe it. I've only known him for a day or so and this was already happening. How did I become so lucky? Why did he decide to single me out? There were definitely other kids who were more fun, or exciting, and even better looking than me. But he chose me. The awkward girl with bright red hair.

A few hours later my parents arrived home and we sat down for dinner. Our meals are usually quiet. We don't small talk in my family, so this will be a little awkward. When do I ask them about Friday? Should I do it now or wait until after dinner? I guess I'll just do it now.

"Hey mom, dad. I have a question."

"Yes honey?" My mom replied not looking up from her food.

My father quickly glanced at me but did not seemed interested in what I was about to ask. I continued anyways.

"I was wondering if I could go to the movies with my friend this Friday. We wouldn't be out super late. The movie starts at 7:30."

Again, my mother did not look up from her plate.