Chapter 6 (The Cold Shoulder)

The rest of September felt like a blur and soon October had arrived. For most of the month school was more or less the same. My life outside of school however had changed. Malum and I would spend as much time together as our parents would allow. We went to the movies, went bowling, and ate out a lot. He came over to my place a few times, but our time spent at my house was mostly so we could study. Which would've been boring if it were with Autumn or Katy, but Malum made everything in my life ten times more exciting than it usually would be.

    My favorite holiday was this weekend. Halloween. The one day a year where anyone can dress up and be whoever they want. And receiving free candy is also a perk. This particular Halloween weekend though Laura and Scarlett were throwing a party. They decided to invite everybody in our grade, confirming Michael's statement from a few weeks back. They definitely were not happy with being outdone by the pretty committee with their last party. So naturally this time around they wanted the number of attendees to be far larger.

    Malum and I were sitting in history class on Friday. Like usual neither of us were paying much attention to what Mr. Ketcher was lecturing about.

    "So are you going to the party this weekend?" He whispered.

    "Yeah I think I'm going. Autumn and Katy really wanted me to tag along with them so I didn't really have a choice in saying no."

    "Well I will definitely be there. It will give me a chance to actually meet some other people in our grade. Since I'm always spending time with you." he said sarcastically.

    Even if he is being sarcastic I had never considered this. He was right. He spent all of his time with me. Even at lunch he barely spoke to anyone else at our table. Oh no. What have I done? Have I been so possessive that I hadn't allowed him to make some other friends besides me? Or was it his decision. Maybe it was a mixture of both.

    Was he getting sick of me? I felt horrible now. For the past month it had only been him and I. That's what my life has become. I rarely spend anytime with Autumn or Katy these days. Wow. They must secretly hate me. I'll have to make it up to them later.

    I tried my best to fake a smile. "You're right. I'm sorry. I do take up all of your time. You should definitely go to the party. Make some new friends. I'll be with Autumn and Katy the whole time so don't worry about me."

    "Don't worry. I won't." He said with a wink.

    Wait was he just joking with me earlier? Did he actually want to make new friends or was he just testing what my reaction would be? Good going Grace. You overreacted. Again. But now I was angry.

    "Hey don't be mean. If you legitimately want to go make some new friends then do so. I'm not the center of your universe."

He looked taken about, but then composed himself and gave a half smile. "But what if you are?"

I was shocked. What did he mean by that? Was I the center of his universe? No I couldn't be. We have only known one another for a little over a month. And we are only in 10th grade. But then again...the way he makes me feel when he holds my hand. It's like I'm safe. Like a silent signal telling me that everything is going to be okay because he is there with me. And his eyes. Oh his eyes. My golden suns that I gaze at and lose myself in.

I looked up at him and stared into his eyes like I do so often and immediately noticed something was wrong. His eyes were not my golden suns. Instead they were the coal black. The were the eyes that I thought I had imagined seeing on the first day we met. What is going on? Was I imagining this? I need to ask him about it. I don't want to be going crazy, but I'm also very curious about what he meant by his last statement. Ugh. So many questions I need answers to.