"posters." liz blurts out.

luke cringes and nods. his boyfriends look at his mother and at him in confusion. and then the light bulb turns on.

"oh! oh! you must be luke's mother!" ashton says excitedly.

liz just nods, staring at the three boys in pure shock. she isn't a fan of them, but she knows them. she's seen them in concert with her son countless times. she's seen them in interviews on tv and heard them on the radio countless times. and they are here. they know her son.

"i-i'm going to go to the bathroom. i think i might end up having a heart attack. excuse me." liz says, quickly getting out of her seat and rushes off to the bathroom.

luke turns to glare at his boyfriends. no, he wasn't mad, but now he has to explain how they know each other. honestly, he wasn't expecting his mum to react like that. she acted like a fan girl finally meeting her idol. he hopes they didn't give her a heart attack, although it would probably be a funny story for later on.

"true colors causes middle aged woman to have a heart attack"

"what part of," luke waves his hands around, "do you not get!"

"erm, sorry?" calum says, wincing a little.

luke sighs and face palms. "i fucking hate you all."

"no, you love us, because we brought you food." ashton says, placing a brown paper bag in front of luke.

luke digs into the bag and pulls out the wrapped food that holds the most glorious food of them all.

tacos. but not any tacos, tacos from taco bell. not only that, but cinnamon twists as well.

"best boyfriends ever." luke mutters as he snacks on the cinnamon twists.

he offers for them to sit, and ashton grabs an extra chair so liz wouldn't have to sit by strangers. michael and calum slid in next to luke, and ashton sat the the chair so liz could have the other side of the booth to herself.

liz comes out a few minutes later. she didn't look like she was going to pass out at any second. she sits down back in her spot and blinks at the boys. there's silence between all of them, except for the occasion crunch from the cinnamon twists.

"so... how did you all become friends? and luke why didn't you tell me! this... this is huge!" liz exclaims.

she doesn't know if she's not excited that she's sitting with one of australia's most famous bands, or if they are friends with her son.

"luke liked to spam us with messages on twitter, so we started to talk and eventually met up. now, we're really close and very good friends." ashton explains, smiling.

and luke's heart kind of skips a beat. he wishes that he could tell his mum that they are his boyfriends, but there's no way she would believe it. plus, poly relationships aren't that common. liz would probably think it's some type of joke. or even worse, be extremely judgmental.

he wishes everyone knew, but that would cause even more drama. he kind of likes being private and secretive. it makes him feel like a rebel, like he's a teenager sneaking off to parties. but at the same time, luke wants to hold his boyfriend's hands out in public. he wants to be all love-y and cuddly with them in public. he wants to show the world they are his, and his only. sadly, they can't do that. not right now, at least.

"aw, he's been doing that for years. i remember hearing him screaming and crying at one in the morning because ashton had followed him on twitter. i thought he was being killed." liz says, chuckling at the memory.

"awe, little lukey woke up his mommy." calum teases, squeezing luke's cheek.

luke blushes and mutters a 'stop' as he slaps calum's hand away. he intertwines their fingers together under the table, and he smiles.

"we were in target when calum followed him. we were getting painting supplies for a school art project, and the poor boy spilt paint all over the floor."

they all laughed, except for luke. he was just a blushing, embarrassed mess.

"oh! and when michael followed him, we were at a restaurant after graduation. it was quite fancy restaurant. he choked on his food and a doctor, luckily, was there and saved him."

they howl with laughter, completely pushing the fact of luke almost dying away.

"michael you almost killed him!"

luke buries his head in his arms, and hits his head against the table. "i hate this band. i hate this band. i hate this band."

after twenty minutes, luke's lunch break was over. he said goodbye to his mum, promising her that he was going to get help. he doesn't know exactly when he'll get courage to actually do it, but he knows it has to be soon. he's promised his boyfriend's a month ago that he would get help, and he still hasn't.

after liz left, luke sighed and stared down at the envelope in his hand. he opened it, and his heart dropped when he skipped down to the amount.

11,337.51

fuck.

he shoved the paper in his pocket, and tried to push the thoughts of not having the money away. it's going to take him years to pay it off. he could feel his anxiety rising ever so slowly, but quickly at the same time. it's so much money. money that luke does not have. he's a young adult with fucked up health.

"hey, we're gonna go now so you can get back to work. we'll see you after?"

luke snaps out of his anxious thoughts and smiles lightly. "y-yeah. i'll be off in a few hours."

calum notices his demeanor and looks at his boyfriend with concern. "are you okay?"

luke debates on lying, but what is that going to do? of course he's not okay.

luke shakes his head. "i'll be fine... just go home, okay?"

calum frowns. he doesn't like how fast luke's happy attitude changed. something happened, but it's obvious luke does not want to discuss it right now.

"okay.. i love you. we'll see you soon." calum says quietly, pulling his boyfriend into a short, but loving hug.

ashton and michael whisper their 'i love you's' and left.

and luke just then realized he called his home, their home.

____

101k READS
THATS FUCKING INSANE
THANK YOU SO MUCH 🥺❤️