☾❙thirty five

luke stood outside waiting for one of the boys to text him. he did not want to get in the wrong car. that could be embarrassing and dangerous.

a black van pulled up to the front of the smoothie shop, and luke grew a little tense. the windows were tented, and he was ready to run back into the store.

the window rolled down, and luke sighed in relief when he saw all three boys sitting in the back.

michael slid the door open, and luke climbed into the seat next to him. they all silently greeted him, and it grew quiet. luke shut the door, and the driver of the van drove to the drive thru of the smoothie shop.

the inside of the building was quite busy, and the boys didn't want to risk running into any fans. not only that, but have suspicions about who luke is and make up theories. they love their fans, but they don't want anyone to know about luke. they don't even know if they're going to continue this friendship. hopefully that wasn't the case, the three boys adore luke and want to spend more time with him.

they ordered their smoothies, and as they waited ashton spoke up.

"so i was thinking we could go to our hotel? i don't think going to a park would be a good idea." he says.

luke nods, but then frowns. "wouldn't there be fans waiting at your hotel?"

ashton cursed under his breath. "probably. if there is, we'll get out first and dave can come back after a few minutes to drop you off."

luke nods. "that's okay. i'll just meet you up at the front right?"

ashton nods. "yeah, it may take us a few minutes though, depending if there is any fans and how many there will be."

dave, one of their security guards, drove them to their hotel. the ride was silent, except for the music playing through the speakers. no one said a word. whatever they were going to talk about needed to be discussed in private.

they arrived at the hotel, and there were only a few fans waiting at the entrance of the hotel.

the three boys got out to talk to the fans for a little bit, and dave drove around the area slowly for a while until he was given the okay to come back.

after five minutes, dave drove luke back to the hotel. luke thanked him quietly and jumped out of the car, closing the door behind him.

he met the boys in the main entrance and followed them to their hotel room.

once they got inside, luke looked around in awe. the room was quite fancy, more decorated and bougie looking than other hotels. he should have expected it since the front of the hotel looked fancy as well.

"this is nice." luke comments, sitting down on one of the white leather chairs.

"our manager always wants us at the best hotels. i mean, any hotel is fine as long there isn't anything majorly wrong with it." ashton shrugs, plopping down on the white leather chair next to him.

calum and michael sat on the couch, and silence fell over them once again.

where do they start? do they spend this entire time apologizing? but what for? for their feelings? they can't help how they feel. it's all new and different.

"so... you wanted to talk to us." ashton says, looking over at luke.

he nods and picks at the loose string on his black jeans. "i wanted to talk about us."

he made it sound like a relationship 'us', but the boys knew what he meant. luke wanted to talk about their forming friendship. they completely understood why luke was confused. it's not common for them to befriend a fan.

but there was just something about luke that made all three of them interested in him.

"say whatever you want luke, we'll listen." ashton assures, placing his hand on luke's knee.

goosebumps rose on luke's skin at the touch, but he ignored it and took a deep breath. "it's not that i don't want to be friends with you guys... it's just that i don't understand why you chose me."

ashton chuckled. "we didn't choose you, luke. it's just it's happened that we were all interest in you. you seemed nice, and it doesn't hurt to make a new friend.

"but you could have just ignored the messages, or even muted them. i just," luke paused and sighed. he hid his face in his hands in frustration.

he wasn't frustrated at them, he was frustrated at himself. it should be so easy for him to understand that they want to be his friend, but his brain doesn't work like that. he wants to know exactly why. and he may not get that answer until later on.

the boys frowned at luke's state. they could feel the stress and confusion radiating off of him. they felt a pang of hurt in their chest, only because they don't like seeing anyone in such a mood.

michael stood up from his spot and kneeled down at luke's legs. he gently moved luke's hands from his face and smiled lightly at the blonde. he doesn't say much, because he's scared he'll say the wrong thing. he doesn't want to scare or upset luke, or even ashton and calum.

he's already messed up once by admitting that they almost looked for luke when he was drunk, and he didn't want to do it again. he felt so bad that day and it took hours for ashton and calum to assure him that it was okay.

"i know it's confusing... but just understand that we don't care that you're a fan. we just see you as a regular boy that we just want to be friends with. please don't overwhelm yourself with this, it hurts to see you like this." michael says quietly, looking up at  luke's blue eyes.

luke sighed. "i'm sorry... i know i understand, but my mind doesn't. it's no one fault. i have no problem with continuing being friends at all. i want us to be friends, i don't want that to stop."

all the boys felt a relief fall off their shoulders, and they smiled.

____

forgot to mention, you
can literally suggest a song
anytime. i could've just edited
the last author note but oh well.
thank you for the songs so far!
i'm so excited for this playlist!